Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the midst of trying geting my car aligned (this is pure hell, in and of itself, what with the shelby drop, and custom specs), I think i've found a problem with my passenger side shower tower, specifically, the area that the front upper a-arm bolt comes through.

It seems that the cross-member/motor mount support structure has started to move away/been pulled away from the shock tower at the bottom, it's really not much, maybe a 1/4 inch, but I'm assuming any is bad.

This has caused my alignment guy concerns because he says there is not enough a-arm bolt left to correct my huge amount of negative camber (wearing my tires quite thin ::)

I tried my best to take a picture, but didn't turn out really well, the visibly affected area is below the bolt:

http://www.nexterasolutions.com/ken/shcktower_th.jpg

I have all the braces installed, the stock lower frame brace under then engine, export brace, monte carlo brace... So I know the towers themselves are fine. I guess I'm asking what I can do... I don't really have a lot of money, and I need my car aligned so I don't go through tires like candy... If I had money, i'd get them cut out and go Mustang II suspension, but I don't. I can't even afford to get a new shock tower welded in.

Please Help,
Ken

·
Registered
952 Posts
Take it to a frame shop and ask them to do the alignment and the correction. My tower was actually collapsing. It cost me $100 to have them pulled back in and then reinforced and welded back in place. Once that was done they could do the alignment.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It is most likely that this problem happened before you put in your bracing.

When I got my car it didn't have a montecarlo bar and the lower cross member was mia. The coil springs were collapsed, shocks were shot, upper and lower ball joints were shot, everything was shot. I contribute a big part of my shock tower problems to somebody trying to drive the car this way.

When I was doing the Shelby drop I got to looking at my shock towers. I noticed that the vertical rib part of the shock tower that goes down to the frame and bolts into the motor mount brackets was separating at the factory spot welds and pulling away from the shock towers on both sides of the car. The plate behind that was also separating and pulling away from the shock tower. Basically, my shock towers were coming apart at the seams(or ribs). I also found a shock tower crack by putting a drop light inside the engine compartment and then looking in there in the dark from the wheel well sides. It was at the back upper control arm bolt hole on the passenger side and went back about the shock tower 2 or 3 inches.

I jacked the car up, took all the load off the front frame rails, unbolted the control arms and tapped the shock towers back together with a hammer. I then tack welded them in several places all the way around where each plate of metal sandwiches to the one behind it. I also drilled a hole in the end of the one shock tower crack and then welded the crack shut. I sanded the spot weld places and re-sprayed the shock towers semi-flat. The welds are all but invisible.

Its holding up ok so far but my car basically only runs straight on a smooth flat surface and thats it. I'm not sure how my fix would hold up in a different environment.

There are a couple of other things I'm considering doing. I most likely need sub frame connectors and I've been looking at a better lower control arm that ties into the frame better than the flimsy stock one. That should hopefully hold it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts