Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my shock towers and before re-installing the suspension I want to reinforce them on the inside where they attach to the frame rail. Can anyone figure out the correct way to install the reinforcement piece?

See Pic HERE!

Is the metal bent on 90degree angle and welded or does it sit on an angle?
Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
The reinforcement that I've seen is shaped to fit the contours of the tower at a 45* angle. I've also seen rectangular peices welded to the flat area in the middle and to the frame rail only. I have seen (but I can't remember where) triangular peices welded in the corner created by the frame rail/shock tower/inner fender on the engine side. I'll probably be adding these as well as the pieces you are asking about.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The reinforcement that I've seen is shaped to fit the contours of the tower at a 45* angle"
45*? So there would be space left in behind the piece? I'm confused - unless you meant 90*.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Does this help?

http://www.tucsonpony.com/trbeng1.jpg

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a pic of inside the tower? Thanks

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
No, sorry, I didn't have to replace the shock towers. I just had the Dr. Gas support kit welded on and then spent about three months grinding, filling, sanding, smoothing, etc., to blend the pieces in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts