Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded to granada front disks. I want to put a big block in my car with headers, but the shock towers are in the way. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the towers and still keep the spindles? Is there any suspension modification kits out there? Do i have to go with a mustang II front suspension if i want this? Thanks - chris

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Don't waste your time on a big block..... go with a 351W.... or stroke a 351W..... in the end, its going to be the same cost, if not cheaper, and you will have a better handling, higher reving engine.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will headers fit on a 351 in the 66 coupe?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, you can get rid of the shock towers. Yes, you have to go to a different front suspension....
Look up Fatman Fabrications on the internet. He has the whole kit....he builds kits for lots of stuff...
And, Yes, go big block...you will love it...Torque is tops...

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Yes, they make headers for the 351W swap. I am still going to have to Disagree with fordnut. You can make a small block do anything that a big block can. Also, the 351 can be stroke up to a 428 CI. Also, it is almost a direct bolt in, WAY EASIER THEN A BIG BLOCK.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Gotto chime in on this one. As you can see from my own experience I would suggest a 351 stroker, your choice of size. And do use Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. Torque? figure out a long rod configuration and go for it. And it all fits in a 65-66 with the shock towers. The hardest part is installing the headers but I used the long ones, the shorties are likely easier to install. Yes, you can use a Mustang II kit but now we're on the verge of the 79+ strut suspension setup. Sadly, the fellow doing it tells me it's a one off but hey, the cat's out of the bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts