Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a heavy duty Export Brace for my 67 and of course it don't fit. I need to spread the shock towers and was wondering how you guys did it. Harbor Freight sells a jack 4 ton Heavy Duty Portable Hydraulic Equipment Kit but I hate to spend $150 for something I'm going to use only once. I can't find anywhere that rents them. I do have a bottle jack and a piece of 4x4 but I'm not thrilled about trying that. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Set the car on jack stands on the front frame rails and let it sit that way for a couple of days,

·
Registered
276 Posts
I put the jack under the crossbar. Then used a long clamp to squeeze together the brace just enough to drop it on. I haven't lined the firewall lined up yet.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
First time I did it the engine was in. Tried the jack with blocks thing but I couldn't spread them enough. I poked a rod through one of the holes in the brace and down through the corresponding hole in the top of the tower, pryed it into place, lined up a bolt and put the nut on. Repeated the same on the other side.
I did fasten the brace to the firewall first.
Next time I did it, the engine was out. 5 minute job.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
There are a couple of Youtube videos of guys spreading shock towers - some are smarter than others. Personally I would start with an monte carlo bar to keep the shock towers separated. Export brace won't keep the towers apart, its not made to solve that problem. Once you let go of the jacks, it will bend.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,121 Posts
There are a couple of Youtube videos of guys spreading shock towers - some are smarter than others. Personally I would start with an monte carlo bar to keep the shock towers separated. Export brace won't keep the towers apart, its not made to solve that problem. Once you let go of the jacks, it will bend.
And right there is major advantage of the straight bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts