Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys when replacing the shock towers do most people restamp the vin or just not worry about it just wondering what some of you guys have done?> thanks

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If the original VIN is left on the car and the metal is replaced around it, no problem, That area of the inner fender is normally not rusted, maybe bent up some. I have left the entire lip with the VIN and cut the bad metal at the bend. Attach the new there. A bit of a pain, but it has worked for me and I did not have to mess with the VIN.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If the area of the VIN is still in good shape you can cut it out around it and cut out a similar piece from the new panel and butt weld it in or you could just do what I'm planning on doing with the passenger apron on my 68, restamp it. My fender apron was trashed where the VIN was and even though it isn't the main VIN on a 68 I still want to have it back on there. I bought a set of 3/16" numbers and letters from MSC plus a star stamp similar to what Ford used and will restamp the repro panel next time the pass fender is off.

Sometimes you don't have a choice when the VIN is rusted/damaged/not savable.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
MarkStang said:
http://williamthecoroner.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/istock_can-of-worms.jpg
Is it time for a VIN sticky or do we just want it to go away :shrug:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The Vin question can be and have legitimate concerns for a mangled driver fender on the early cars. I was just giving instant humor. I love to laugh.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
MarkStang said:
The Vin question can be and have legitimate concerns for a mangled driver fender on the early cars. I was just giving instant humor. I love to laugh.
+1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know alot of people have replaced their shock towers just wondering what everyone usually does. I was thinking it didnt matter if i put it back on there since one is riveted to the dash. If i cut it out and replace it, would thatcause any weakness in the new tower?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
As long as it is welded in proper, it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
1970jw said:
I know alot of people have replaced their shock towers just wondering what everyone usually does. I was thinking it didnt matter if i put it back on there since one is riveted to the dash.
My 66 only has VINs on the inner fenders, so I'm facing a dilemma as well. My car has rust damage to the base of each shock tower, and damage further back toward the firewall. I'm seriously considering the Dynacorn full shock tower assemblies:

However, once the original assemblies are cut off my car, it's VIN tampering by strict definition. What I'm planning to do is to take photos of every stage of the replacements, including a photo of the top of the apron staying in place, while the entire section below is cut out with a plasma cutter. As far as the DMV would be concerned, the VIN was never removed, even if I do cut the rest of the tower assembly off (with no photos) and section and weld the top of the original tower with VIN onto the Dynacorn assemblies before welding the completed assemblies onto my unibody.

John

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
IMO there is no dilemma. It is the "intent" of the law versus the "letter" of the law.

The intent of the law is to prevent fraud. You have undisputable ownership of the car and you are not rebodying it so IMO there is no intent to commit fraud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts