Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my rear leaf springs re-arched 1". I had to raise the car up by the rear end until it was off the ground to be able to mount my rear shocks. Even then they were all the way out to reach the shock plates. If the car recoils upward during a bounce/dip are the shocks just going to reach their max and "botom out"?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Had the same thing done to mine. The shock should have at least 3 inches of travel both up and down. My spring shop put in too much arch and I had to take them back and do them over with less arch. If you put on the springs with no shocks you will see your car probably sits way too high. Gary

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sounds like you have plenty of Jounce (upward travel) but very little if any rebound. That is better than the other way around but still not accepable. You will end up cracking the pistion if you go over anything like a RR track. Need to get longer shock or de-arch your springs.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! I knew you guys were gonna say that! Let's see, toss the brand new Koni's or re-do the springs? Dang! Springs it is. With my FDS it's just as hard taking off the shocks as it is to get the leaf springs in and out!
That would be right I guess, "top out". Dang!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang! I don't think that if I un-did the lower shock mount that the car would raise up any. The shocks aren't pulling it down, but they are right at fully extended. When I go to jack it up, the rear tires start to leave the ground almost immediately. If I'm right, maybe I'll just go ahead and change the shocks. If your right it'll be the springs that get re-done. Thanks for the imput. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts