Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of the shocks carried by the national parts chains any good or should I mail order a set of kyb for one of the mustang parts stores? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
If you can afford them, get the Koni's If not, then at least get the KYB air shocks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree. As they say, if you're 'jes folks get the KYB Gas-A-Justs, if you're a high roller and/or going to do track work, go for the Konis. Price differential is about 3 1/2 times as much.

·
7,051 Posts
at least get the KYB air shocks.
Good advice...but I'm pretty sure Glen meant KYB gas charged shocks...not air shocks. Air shocks are a bad idea.

Shocks from a chainstore will work. I've still got the NAPA specials PO put on the front of my car 8 years ago. They were brand new when I bought the car and I've never got around to changing them (I did go with the KYB gas charged shocks in back). I'm going to replace them this winter.

I'm interested in this: Would it be stupid to go with different shocks in front than I put in back? In other words, would there be any advantage to going with Koni's for the front realizing I cheaped out and got the KYB's for the back?

Phil

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The most important issue is what your car will be used for... Being a convert, I doubt you'll be participating in a lot of road race events! ;) if you're wanting a nice passenger car ride – but still firm enough to corner well – I suggest the KYB GR2s. I put a set on the fastback a few months ago and have been very pleased. Very affordable too!

·
Registered
712 Posts
We put "KYB GR2s" on all four corners of the 66 convertible this past winter and are very pleased.

·
1,215 Posts
I put Monroe Gas Matic shocks on my vert this spring, and while I don't know how they stack up against the likes of KYB's or Koni's, they made a world of difference over what I had.

My wife got them at her work, but I'm sure you can find them at most decent parts places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts