Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a Frigidaire Professional side by side refrigerator / freezer in 2014 and so far it's went through 3 temp sensors and a control board. It has failed again! I think I'm going to fix it again but set it in the garage for backup and look for something to replace it. Definitely won't buy the same brand. Was looking at GE, Samsung, Bosch, etc....

Does anyone have a brand they purchased that they would definitely buy again?

·
Registered
271 Posts
We've been very happy with our LG since it went in a few years ago.

We previously had an Electrolux. We loved the thing when itr was new, but it had, hands down, the absolute worst pile of **** ice maker design ever devised by man. Whoever designed it should have been fired and had his or her engineering degree revoked, permanently. And whoever approved it should have been right behind them. It was so bad, there was a class action lawsuit... with the lawyers making many millions of dollars, and us poor bastards who bought one getting a $100 coupon for our NEXT $3500-plus Electrolux fridge. Nothing else. Needless to say, we'll never own anything again with that brand name on it. The ONLY bright spot was that we bought it with a dent in an upper corner, so paid about 1/3 under the regular price. But it's the only time we've ever sold a major appliance just because we hated it so much, and yes I told the buyer that the ice maker was non functional.

Oh, and guess who owns Frigidaire? You got it. Electrolux. **** them.

The very early 1990s vintage GE that we removed to replace with the Electrolux is still running at our daughter's house, by the way. Whether today's GE appliances will still be in service in thirty years remains to be seen, but the old stuff was solid.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,366 Posts
Replaced a basic 20 year old GE because I thought the icemaker was leaking. (It was just the line.) With middle of the line GE Adora side by side about three years ago. Only two samples but both have done well. The first GE is still with us, keeping shop beer cold.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,400 Posts
GE profile, one bought in 2006 started making compressor noise( rattle when turning off) so bought a new one to replace it. Old one is in garage storing beer and being back up freezer.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Just a general comment on layout: While I like the layout for french door refrigerators, I hate the constant freezing I get of the condensate line that then results in ice buildup under the drawer just on top of the freezer section. This is a GE, but I hear it is common to others as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just a general comment on layout: While I like the layout for french door refrigerators, I hate the constant freezing I get of the condensate line that then results in ice buildup under the drawer just on top of the freezer section. This is a GE, but I hear it is common to others as well.
Our LG doesn't do that. The Electrolux did, ALL the time. I had almost forgotten that little bit of joy. The first few times we found out about it when water started slopping out the front.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Kenmore (made by Whirlpool I think) has been good for us. DON'T buy a Samsung. My Dad has had nightmare after nightmare with two of them, first replaced because repairman was tired of it and he deemed it unserviceable. I recommend staying away from ANYTHING that has a friggin computer in it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had a GE that I bought USED in '87. I repainted it to make it look nice then. Best fridge ever. I replaced it in 2013ish ( I must have been drunk). The Samsung has for the most part worked. I'm on my third ice maker for it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Had two GE Profiles. They were junk after a few years, wouldn't get cold enough. Bought a high end Samsung against my better judgement. The fridge has been FANTASTIC but the icemaker is a steaming pile of poo. I have replaced it 3 times in 7 years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Kenmore (made by Whirlpool I think) has been good for us. DON'T buy a Samsung. My Dad has had nightmare after nightmare with two of them, first replaced because repairman was tired of it and he deemed it unserviceable. I recommend staying away from ANYTHING that has a friggin computer in it.
cant resist....like all of our new cars and trucks?
😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
I will have to bookmark this thread. I have a 3 year old Frigidaire Professional...no problems yet, but one of the sliding shelf frames did crack. Hopefully I will have better luck than you.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Subzero. Expensive but well worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Subzero. Expensive but well worth it.
My wife wants one of these, but my budget for one is "sub-zero".

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
The problem with looking for reliable appliances is they are constantly changing. Whirlpool was a good, solid brand. Then it got sold to a Chinese company and they started to suck. Then I heard they got bought back by a U.S. company and are good again. Who knows? It's like trying to keep up with reproduction sheet metal.

I can say I purchased a Kitchenaid refrigerator 25 years ago and it's still going in my kitchen right now. Kitchenaid is Whirlpool's higher end line. Would a Kitchenaid be a good buy right now? Again, who knows.

If I was going to buy a refrigerator, I would pay for a Consumer Reports online subscription and peruse their appliance reviews. Yeah, I know, "Consumer Reports is Biased!". I hear it all the time. But the fact is 90% of their reviews are based on owner experience. The other 10% is based on their experience after buying the product. They buy whatever they review as regular consumers. What they review is not donated by the manufacturer or dealer. They get no discount. The seller doesn't even know CR is buying the product. CR sends out massive surveys to their subscribers and asks them about the things they bought. I subscribed to the CR magazine for decades and I got their surveys all the time. So, are the actual buyers and users biased?

Be aware if you find a model you like on the CR web site, likely that model is no longer available because CR bought it six months ago. Like I said, things change fast.

Also, be sure to check Costco. They tend to sell higher end appliance models, but the prices are very competitive. Here again, it's hard to compare to other stores because the Costco example will have a unique model number. But you should be figure out what's the same at Lowe's and other retailers contrary to what the sales lizards tell you. "Oh, those are remanufactured appliances." "Oh, those are reject appliances." "Oh, you don't want to buy at Costco because..." Blah, blah, blah. It's all nonsense. Of course, the selection at Costco is very limited. You buy what they happen to have in stock in the store or on the web site at the time or you go somewhere else.

Anyway, that's my take.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The problem with looking for reliable appliances is they are constantly changing. Whirlpool was a good, solid brand. Then it got sold to a Chinese company and they started to suck. Then I heard they got bought back by a U.S. company and are good again. Who knows? It's like trying to keep up with reproduction sheet metal.

I can say I purchased a Kitchenaid refrigerator 25 years ago and it's still going in my kitchen right now. Kitchenaid is Whirlpool's higher end line. Would a Kitchenaid be a good buy right now? Again, who knows.

If I was going to buy a refrigerator, I would pay for a Consumer Reports online subscription and peruse their appliance reviews. Yeah, I know, "Consumer Reports is Biased!". I hear it all the time. But the fact is 90% of their reviews are based on owner experience. The other 10% is based on their experience after buying the product. They buy whatever they review as regular consumers. What they review is not donated by the manufacturer or dealer. They get no discount. The seller doesn't even know CR is buying the product. CR sends out massive surveys to their subscribers and asks them about the things they bought. I subscribed to the CR magazine for decades and I got their surveys all the time. So, are the actual buyers and users biased?

Be aware if you find a model you like on the CR web site, likely that model is no longer available because CR bought it six months ago. Like I said, things change fast.

Also, be sure to check Costco. They tend to sell higher end appliance models, but the prices are very competitive. Here again, it's hard to compare to other stores because the Costco example will have a unique model number. But you should be figure out what's the same at Lowe's and other retailers contrary to what the sales lizards tell you. "Oh, those are remanufactured appliances." "Oh, those are reject appliances." "Oh, you don't want to buy at Costco because..." Blah, blah, blah. It's all nonsense. Of course, the selection at Costco is very limited. You buy what they happen to have in stock in the store or on the web site at the time or you go somewhere else.

Anyway, that's my take.
I would add to this, in favor of Costco, that they often (I think always but I'm covering myself just in case) extend the manufactures warranty. And their 3rd party warranty program is priced reasonably.

I bought a washer/dryer through them in Dec. They doubled the manufactures warranty from 1 year to 2 years. I then purchased years 3,4, and 5 for $100. I generally don't buy extended warranties but for that price. Why not...?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I would add to this, in favor of Costco, that they often (I think always but I'm covering myself just in case) extend the manufactures warranty. And their 3rd party warranty program is priced reasonably.

I bought a washer/dryer through them in Dec. They doubled the manufactures warranty from 1 year to 2 years. I then purchased years 3,4, and 5 for $100. I generally don't buy extended warranties but for that price. Why not...?
Excellent point. I have bought a few televisions from Costco and the long term extended warranty was so cheap it was hard to not take it. Have used it once and it was taken care of for free and paid for three extended warranties.

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Some credit cards extend your warranty as well, but I prefer to pay cash or use a 0% option.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I guess refrigerators are like washing machines. Anything that you bought several years ago may be relatively decent but a current model of the same thing is a piece of junk. I have a 12 year old GE side by side whatever model or other. The only problem I have had with it was it quit automatic defrosting and turned into an antartic simulation. It wound up being the element in there that puts in the heat to defrost it. It had a manufacturing defect because the replacement element connected the same but it was actually a dual element instead of the original single element which apparently ran too hot and burned itself out.

My several years old Samsung flat screen tv just went out last night while making a screeching noise like a boiling lobster or maybe what electronics sounds like with an EMP blast from a nuclear weapon. My several years old GE washer is recently became a hammer knocker which I have as yet to fix. I have particles of gravel in the bottom of the wash basket from the basket counter weight(made of some artificial rock) disintegrating. I am confident that this means I am going to have to remove and attempt to back flush the pump because if gravel is in the bottom of the basket it is most likely in the drain passage and pump as well. I don't know yet if it is even fixable or not.

I think my appliances are going through some kind of a menopause. Considering the junk appliance syndrome of the present, I have decided that anything I buy will be the cheapest piece of junk I can get because except for perhaps the very high dollar stuff, its all junk now. For what little use I get out of any of these contraptions, I don't plan to pay in the 4 digits for something that may also be a piece of junk and you pay extra to get even a 5 year "limited" warranty of something.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts