Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I hear you, macstang. I too have been pretty disappointed by some modern appliances. There are still some gems out there among the crap. I bought a Maytag washer and dryer nine years ago. They're not top of the line, but the mechanicals inside are the same as the commercial washers and dryers. Thus far, they've been rock solid. (Now waiting for a horrific sound coming from the laundry area...)

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
GE Profile refrigerator from about 2012. So far so good. Under heavy demand, the icemaker doesn't have the capacity to even remotely keep up. That's the only complaint.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
We've been very happy with our LG since it went in a few years ago.

We previously had an Electrolux. But it's the only time we've ever sold a major appliance just because we hated it so much, and yes I told the buyer that the ice maker was non functional.
Sold a brand new GE Profile cook top about 6 months after it was installed. What a piece of crap. (Replaced it with a Maytag cooktop..... which is absolutely bitchin').
Told the Craigslist buyer for the GE unit that we only wanted $15 because the burner design caused the pancake griddle plate to burn everything, even on the lowest setting.
(GE service had even come out to rectify and couldn't do I thing on their asinine expensive POS cooktop)

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sold a brand new GE Profile cook top about 6 months after it was installed. What a piece of crap. (Replaced it with a Maytag cooktop..... which is absolutely bitchin').
Told the Craigslist buyer for the GE unit that we only wanted $15 because the burner design caused the pancake griddle plate to burn everything, even on the lowest setting.
(GE service had even come out to rectify and couldn't do I thing on their asinine expensive POS cooktop)
I think I tried the griddle thing once. Easier just to get one of the griddle plates to drop on the BBQ. the one for GE cooktop like you said was a disaster, besides the heat issue it's too small. Not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Had a Samsung bottom freezer that lasted 12 years before the heating element on the freezer coil died and a replacement was no longer available. Replaced it with a Frigidaire french door unit and have been very happy with it so far. I had one issue with the ice maker intermittently being inop, turned out the water feed to the ice tray was freezing up due to air intrusion from a missing gasket. So far, so good.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
My Landlord bought a top of the line LG 3 door - drawer for freezer adn two upper french doors. Beautiful and nocely laid out BUT at less than two years old the Fridge stopped working almost 3 weeks ago. Freezer works fine. One guy came out twice with LG on the phone could not fix it. LG has promised to send parts (still under parts warranty); "were so sorry"... still broken with no idea when or if it will get fixed. I have a second fridge now in my dining room. LG YOU SUCK, I'm done with them.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
We bought a kitchenAid and it was junk after a few years. We replaced it with an amana. Its over 15 years old, never had a problem and still running.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
^^ Yeah, those are perfect illustrations of the appliance world. My Kitchenaid refrigerator has been going strong after 20+ years. Other Kitchenaids are 120 volt turds. You just never know...

Seems full-size diesel-powered pickups are the same way. Doesn't matter if it's Ford, GM or RAM. One year it's an indestructible gem. The next year it's a complete disaster invoking the Lemon Law.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
I feel I have gotten remarkably lucky with my Craigslist buys. A fridge is one of those things that is kind of sketchy to buy off Craigslist cus the chance of it having something wrong with it is kind of high. But - I bought my Electrolux side-by-side for $150 nearly 5 years ago now, and it has generally been great. At one point in time I had to have a repair guy come out and pump up the refrigerant in the lines as it wasn't freezing as it should, but he seemed to think it was just normal time-related freon depressurization (or whatever you would call it) as he couldn't find a leak. That was 3 years ago anyways and the fridge has been great ever since, so I'd say I got my money's worth.

My only complaint is that the freezer seal doesn't "stick" very well, so when you slam the fridge door, the freezer door tends to pop open just a bit. So now I just have this compulsion to always kick the freezer door as I walk past, just in case.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As mentioned above, Consumers' Reports compares appliances and includes customer reviews. The three take aways I got from the last time I was in the market for a refrigerator was:
  • No matter what the brand or model, ice makers tend to be problematic;
  • Within the various brands, different models of the same brand can vary quite a bit when it comes to reliability;
  • The more doors you have, the more problems a unit is likely to experience.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Hmmm, kick the freezer door. Is that a front snap kick, a wheel kick, regular roundhouse kick, jumping spinning roundhouse kick, crescent kick(inside or outside), side kick, lunging side kick, flying side kick, back kick, spinning back kick, jumping back kick, a heel kick, some variation of a stomp kick and the very difficult but Hollywood favorite scorpion kick? I only named a few. You could dent your freezer door with most of these.

Sorry I'm just messing with you. Sometimes the gasket gets a little dirty or the gasket mating surface on the freezer gets dirt, dust or grungy of some kind on it and will not hold well. Sometimes the gasket just starts to break down. It might fix it to just clean it well and put something like a silicone lubricant on it. It may be that the magnets have gotten weak.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts