Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Good pistons, same ones that i have in mine. They only seem to mention pistons, block, rods, and crank. Component price appx $ 1,000. leaving 1000 for machining. and balancing etc.
Not bad.
they're shipping robs you though. It can be insured and shipped for about 125 to 140 not 275.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
If I were to buy a crate short/long block, I would for sure eliminate the middleman (if any) and go directly to the builder.

Another thing I would do is disassemble anything I did buy. I'd want to check clearances and confirm that the correct parts were installed.

Having said all that, if you have a good machine shop near you to prep the block, why not buy the parts and put it together yourself?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I agree with Joe. Might as well buy the kit and do your own assy, with the help of mechanically-minded friends. You would want to check it anyway, so this way you do the work once - and you'll learn a lot more! ::

As Mike says, KKtell can give you, uh, alternate views of CHP. For my part, I used a CHP kit, assembled it myself, no issues to this point *shrug* ...but that was 6 years ago now...

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
well, you know about CHP... Everyone raves about Keith Craft Racing, so I would check there too. Art recommends them, and that's good enough for me!

There are scads of other companies out there as well, but I wont comment sicne I have no experience with them....but Im sure other VMFers will chime in.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I bought a stroker from Keith Craft. I haven't driven it yet, but on the dyno it was good for 410HP. They were very good at accommodating my many requests. I supplied valve covers, oil pan, dizzy and some hardware. I wanted a less aggressive cam than the motor I selected originally had.

All in all a very pleasant experience. My only gripe, they did not complete drain the cooling system after the dyno run. I filled the cooling system up over the weekend and discovered a little rust. Not a big problem since I had only added water, but it was annoying.

·
Registered
846 Posts
As I pick up my M&FF mag... the very last page, CHP shortblock 347ci is $1999.00. Now that's for a 347GT package. The 347 street fighter package is $2299.00. The 331 street fighter shortblock is $2299.00. I don't see anywhere where they offer a 331 in the GT package. Which is what the same interals they are showing in CHP advert 347 GT package. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts