Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and I are going on a 3 day road trip over this weekend. She is really interested in attending Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, so we're going to head up that way for a campus tour. We're going to take my 65 and take it easy. We're leaving Saturday morning from home, and going to stay with my oldest daughter up in the Phoenix area. Sunday morning we'll head for Flagstaff and make a slight detour through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. The weather is supposed to be clear and sunny with temperatures in the mid 60's. Looking forward to an easy ride with no drama. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You've proven the car, tried and true, I'm sure you'll be fine so be safe, have fun, and take some cool pictures!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, and a perfect opportunity to spend time with the family, good luck, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Survived the trip with almost no issues. The only problem we had was getting onto Interstate 10 in Benson and some idiot in front of us thought merging at 45 mph into a traffic stream moving at 75 mph was a good idea. I started going around the soccer mom minivan when all of a sudden moron decided getting in my lane was the best thing. How we missed each other is unknown. I could swear I ordered the guided missile option for my car, and could have used it at that time...a TOW missile would have been perfect.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Congrats on the trip. Treasure the memory of that time together in the Mustang. I'd pay a lot to have 3 more days with my little girl again(now 36 with 5 girls of her own).

Missile option, great idea!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
How in the world could anybody miss that Blue Missile bearing down on them? :grin2:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to beat our weather this time of year!
You got that right! It was a little warm driving between Tucson and Phoenix with no AC, but once we gained some elevation, it was nice!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've been needing that guided missile option A LOT. My Jeep can carry a decent payload, so I wouldn't run out too quick.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Survived the trip with almost no issues. The only problem we had was getting onto Interstate 10 in Benson and some idiot in front of us thought merging at 45 mph into a traffic stream moving at 75 mph was a good idea. I started going around the soccer mom minivan when all of a sudden moron decided getting in my lane was the best thing. How we missed each other is unknown. I could swear I ordered the guided missile option for my car, and could have used it at that time...a TOW missile would have been perfect.
Sometimes I think I should buy one of those recording cameras for the car I saw at Best Buy so I have proof when the inevitable happens. :frown2:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We drove from Douglas, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ with a detour through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. It was beautiful weather the whole trip. We stopped in Tempe to have lunch with one of my sisters and her daughter, who was competing in a local video game tournament. From there we went to Gilbert, AZ to spend the night with my oldest daughter and SIL, along with my 8 year old granddaughter. The next day we headed on up to Flagstaff and drove through the Red Rock country of Sedona, and a leisurely drive through Oak Creek Canyon (video coming up shortly). If you ever get the chance to explore these areas, do it. The only drag is Sedona is getting more and more crowded and expect long lines.

When we got to Flagstaff, we checked into our motor court hotel on Route 66 and relaxed. On Monday, we did a three hour tour of the Northern Arizona University campus. I can see my daughter attending this school, and if she keeps her grades up, she's a shoe-in for being accepted. She's a smart young lady, but tends to procrastinate.

At the hotel, there was a 64 Fairlane 500 parked in the lot. I figured it was one of those display cars that hotels put in their parking lots for the Route 66 nostalgia. While I was taking pictures, the owner stepped out of his room and loaded some luggage into the trunk of the Fairlane. I got to talking to him, and he is the original owner of his car. He's 87 years old, and was coming back from a camping trip in Utah. He's an Arizona resident, and he was interested in my 64 Arizona license plate. I told him how to get some for his car, and how to deal with the AZ MVD, DMV, or whatever initials they're going with this week.

My best MPG was 20.1 mpg from Flagstaff to Casa Grande, AZ. Not bad for doing almost 80 mph at 3900 rpm almost the whole way with the exception of the stop and go traffic through Phoenix. I should take it easy, though, because those RPM's are really going to kill my engine. :)

All in all, it was a good road trip, and already looking forward to the next one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How in the world could anybody miss that Blue Missile bearing down on them? :grin2:
I get told all the time by people that they can spot my car from over a mile away. I then ask them why the idiots that are 50 feet away can't see me?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I get told all the time by people that they can spot my car from over a mile away. I then ask them why the idiots that are 50 feet away can't see me?
I bought a trailer to transport my car to events because I couldn't roll out of my driveway without stupidity from others happening! On the trailer my car is apparently invisible?

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Not bad for doing almost 80 mph at 3900 rpm almost the whole way with the exception of the stop and go traffic through Phoenix. I should take it easy, though, because those RPM's are really going to kill my engine. :)

It will die a happy death! They love to wind up.

That Fairlane would make a nice Thunderbolt clone if it wasn't all original.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
At the hotel, there was a 64 Fairlane 500 parked in the lot. I figured it was one of those display cars that hotels put in their parking lots for the Route 66 nostalgia. While I was taking pictures, the owner stepped out of his room and loaded some luggage into the trunk of the Fairlane.
We had a similar thing happen on our 2018 Southwest trip when we stopped at the Hackberry Store on route 66 in this setup. '65 F100 & '62 Shasta Astroflyte. People were taking pics of it and looked surprised when we drove off in what they thought was part of the display.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That Fairlane would make a nice Thunderbolt clone if it wasn't all original.
I had the same thought. Replace the inner lights with ducting to the carb, or carbs, big ol' FE, etc. What a blast!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
People were taking pics of it and looked surprised when we drove off in what they thought was part of the display.
That would have been worth the price of admission. Imagine someone inside the store who was planning on posing next to it, and coming out and finding the truck and camper gone! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts