Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the paint quotes I have received, I will likley wait another year on the paint. I will focus on suspension and other things needed to make a good solid daily driver.

I have small rust bubbles at the bottom front corner of the door. I know that the long term answer is cut out the cancer and weld in a patch. I am looking for another idea to stop the spread of the rust and get me by for another year or possibly two years.

Can I just grind down the rust to the metal, put something like POR-15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on it and then fill, sand, prime and touch up paint?

What should I use as a filler? Metal to metal from Eastwood sounds like it might work. Is there a filler I can buy locally instead?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You can figure that if the rust bubble is let's say the size of a dime, then the actual rust is probably like 3-4 times bigger. There will be a hole in the metal after you clean the rust. There is where the problem is.
For a 1 year (maybe) fix just sand the rust bubble down flat & prime. Don't worry about digging the rust out. Your not gonna be able to fix it without welding in a patch. Sorry...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Metal to metal is available at any bodyshop supply. Just make sure it is fresh, as an extended period of storage makes it hard to work. You will save the shipping cost and maybe even a little more. I have had patches of this nature hold for several years before, but it always comes back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts