Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help locating a shorty pump and pulley setup for our '66 289.

We built the motor with the appearance of "all stock top end components". And there lies the rub.

While the cast iron head reworks included porting/polishing, roller rockers, larger values and such, we are concerned the 10.5:1 comp ratio may lend itself to detonation issues.

We installed a three row fluidyne aluminum radiator which is 3.75" deep. leaving only 2.25" gap between the radiator surface and the end of the water pump shaft. Not quite enough for our 16" Spal electrical fan setup (3.25" deep).

All the shorty pump setups I have found are for late model Ford small blocks. I could always machine a shorter fan adaptor and use fixed flex blade type fan rather than an electrical one. Help!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Ford Motorsports has a short water pump. Here are the details:

*NEW ITEM - STREET ROD SHORT V-BELT WATER PUMP Fits 289/302/351W Driver side radiator hose inlet. .750" pulley pilot shaft Provides approx. 1 1/2" of space at the front of the engine allowing for for more radiator fan clearance without a recessed fire wall. Must use with long style (3.950")4-bolt damper Requires use oo pulley kit M-8509-Q M-8509-R

Have you tried relocating the radiator as far forward as possible?

You could use button head cap screws rather than hex head bolts. These BHCS are a bit shorter.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul,

I looked at the electrical pumps but they all appear to be for strip use. The better ones talk about expected seal life in terms of number of hours. That worried me a little.

Pat

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mlnielsen,

The radiator side frames are made of aluminum channel. The only way to move it up in my '66 without opening up the radiator support would be to slot the top of the radiator support enough to slide the front side of the channeled frame though it. And I am trying to make all my mods bolt-ons.

When the crank was indexed and balanced we used the stock 28 ounce harmonic. The Ford Moto pump pulley set up requires the four bolt stlye HB. We got the complete reciprocating assembly to balanced within a 1/4 gram. Changing any of these components would reverse those results. I am more than likely going to have to employ 8 ot 9 fin flex style fixed fan. The driver side outlet would also create a reroute.

Thanks for the tweaks. I let you know if I find a better work around.

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts