Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pick up a set of BBK's pretty reasonable or go with a set of the Hipo manifolds (not Try-Y's). If I go with the shortys, I will have them ceramic coated inside & out.

They will be going in my 66 289 w/ automatic. Nothing special about the engine, mild cam Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 600, Pertronix, bored .30 over. Dual exhaust w/ H-pipe and 3-chamber Flowmasters and either 2" or 2½" pipe (haven't got to the exhaust yet).

How much more trouble to do and "maintain" shortys? or should I just stick with the Hipo's?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I vote shorties, but it's all a matter of taste. SacBill has almost the identical exhaust on his 302 as my son does on his ... same diameter pipes, put together by the same exhaust shop, both with Dynomax Super Turbos. The only difference is Bill has hypo manifolds, and Chris has JBA shorties. The sound is extremely different. Bill's sounds good, but is very mellow sounding. Chris's has that deep rumble and sounds very mean.

(of course mine sounds better than either with the full length tubes and the big cam ::)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I dont know a lot about shorties or hipo's, but i know hooker makes the comp headers for about $150, $300 from summit in the ceramic coating. Ive got the comps on my 70' 302, with 2 1/2" pipes to flowmasters and it sounds great.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a set of Hooker full length, but I don't want the issues of ground clearance. I can pick up a brand new set of BBK's and have them Ceramic coated all for about $280.00, and of course since I work at the Mustang Ranch, I can get a new set of Hipo's for a really good price.

Anyone know how much more difficult it is to change plugs, etc. with the shortys?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Shorties, around the spark plugs will be no different than long tubes. Changing spark plugs is always more difficult with any kind of header, than it is with manifolds.

You may want to just sit the Hookers on there and check the ground clearance. I've been told they are some of the best fitting headers around for ground clearance. I picked up a very nice set Hooker Comps for $35 at the Petaluma swap meet. Haven't put them on yet (going onto the sportsroof), so can't say, first hand yet, how good/bad the ground clearance is.

The ground clearance with my FlowTech long tubes is almost rediculous on my '66. There's no ground clearance issues at all with my son's JBA's.

From what I've seen, those BBK's are pretty nice headers. It's really hard to tell them from the JBA's.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
johnpro stole my thunder, as I was going to say the same exact thing. I think the biggest difference you're going to have is the exhaust note...if that's important to you, then you should drive up here and listen to the two cars side by side... ::

The only other concern is if your car has power steering. HiPos will require rerouting your PS hoses; I don't know if shorties do, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts