Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 289/302 not sure which one. the block says 302 the heads say 289. I tore the block down and had it cleaned up. Now I wondering what to do with the heads. Do I hot tank and reseal the stock 289(?) heads or to I use my heads from my '93 5.0 with 60 K on them. Can I even use my '93 heads with the non-roller cam and rockers?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
lets put it this way, many late model guys use 289 heads to beef up their 5.0's. then again they usually do the chevy valves in them too, and port work.

The main thing is that i believe the 289 heads will up the compressiong by 1

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
late models will lower compression...though a compression change of 9:1 down to 8:1 wont do much to power to be quite honest

5.0 heads have pedestal rockers....I personally like them because you can put 170 dollar bolt down aluminum roller rockers on them....nice and cheap!

If I used the late model heads, I'd grind the bump in the exhaust port flush....like I just did in the cleveland heads Im preparing.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
from 9 down to 8? are u sure its not from 10 to 9.. or are the 289 make less compression than the 5.0 pistons?

I ask because i thought 5.0's came with a cpr ratio of 9:1, and if they had the same pistons then... well u know what i mean.

This really intrigues me because i really want an 8:1 ratio (im going forced induction). This might be my ticket.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
10 to 9 cooretomundo .. My 302/5.0 is ALMOST ready to drop in and I opted to use early style 302 heads with the unshaved piston cylinder chambers. Running these stock cast iron heads, and a well built bottom end I am right at 10:1 and if I ran the E7TE(the only good "late model" heads) I would be right above 9:1 .. like 9.1 or something.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
Just an opinion,

Unless you are reusing your heads or have a "requirement" like for restoration or vintage racing, when considering replacing heads, the cost versus what ya get for the $ is tremendous. Aftermarket heads, whether aluminum or cast iron, are readily available, fully assembled, flowing as much if not more than a fully prepped set of OEM heads and when you do a cost analysis, unless you are re-using your own heads, or ones that cost you $0, your far better ahead to go aftermarket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts