Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

I know this is going to come as a surprise for some but... I have kind of decided to use the 73 as my daily once it is done, maybe 4 or 6 weeks now.

I will retire the 2002 vert and give it garage privilege and use the 73 vert as my daily, it has a rebuilt engine a rebuilt tranny and should be quite reliable.

The way i look at it "all and all" the 73 will have cost me 15 to 20 k the 2002, 40k with taxes and all, doesn't it make sense???

Should i get off the cold medicine??

All i know is that until i made that decision i was totally unmotivated to work on the car and must have let it alone for like 3 months, but since i have spent like 18 hours in the garage just this week end and i am now super excited all over again!!!

I just feel a little crazy about the idea ...being from Canada and thinking about winter!!!! Maybe i can get a junker for the winter time....
Let me know your own experience and if you too experience winter!

P.S it is a convertible!

Daniel

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I thought your post header stated "classic car be used as a Dia-wo" (?) (Ricer conversion for classic stang?) ( Or as a "dairy type" grocery getter), hehe, LOL!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Just kidding! Congrats on the decision and the motivation to get fired up on the project again. Freind of mine is totally restoring an old 55 Chevy /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif for his wife's daily driver. I see nothing wrong. Oh yeah, what winters? No snow in Wyoming in 3 years, hehe.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have mine insured for a fair amount and drive it every day. I actually prefer to drive the old cars. I probably wont drive them in the winter though as they are too darn hard to repair the rust on...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Oh, so you are planning to use the car for what it was intended to do? That doesn't sound too crazy to me. SWMBO tells me that if I ever build a car that can't be driven (daily) then she doesn't want it at the house. I agree, these cars (and yes, even those prized shelby's) were built to be used. As a friend of mine says, if you want to build a car that can't be driven, then you might as well buy a model that you can put on a shelf and look at.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm rebuilding a 66 (coupe) for 9-10 month daily driving. I used enough POR 15 and Coroless that I hope it should never rust. Added front disc brakes for a little more safety; and the other touches are for my enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Mustangs did not hold up to the elements well. I doubt that 30+ years has made it any better at it. If you drive it in the winter with even modest snow and a dash of salt your car will be a rust bucket in under 5 years. Paint bubbles from the backside in 2-3 years, maybe even after one. Faithful power washing will help extend the time frame.

I'de go to the auction and buy a good $500 beater and save the mustang for fair weather. Here in atlanta you can pick up a mechanically sound crown vic with really ugly paint for $500 without a problem. For $1,500 you can get one that is shiny and pretty.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a classic as a DD (and, for a 4th generation Mustang, the conv. is the ONLY way to go IMO). But I don't understand why your classic doesn't get to sleep inside at night? Unless that's what you meant... it seems to say that you're putting the 2002 in the garage for occasional use.

Anyway, I'd sell the '02, use the '73 for non-winter DD, and buy a junky something for winter.

Steve

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve

Actually the 2002 would become swmbo toy's and yes become the "occasional use" car...she has been on my case since we bought it, it should be a "parked car" she says and when it was keyed on the driver door a few weeks back at the mall or something she has become much more passionate about it!!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
See, that's the opposite of my thinking completely. The classic should be sheltered when it can be, the new car should be washed / waxed more often but left out.

But, there's a reason why the SWMBO is the SWMBO.

Steve

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to agree with you... I need a beater for winters so i can spare the classic and safely hide it away a rented garage maybe??????

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Well, restored cars DON'T stay that way. I've done mine once already with an additional major touchup and just can't keep people from hitting me 5 times in 15 years. Got paid for the hits but used the money for flight training. It's still my daily driver. By the way what's "rust" anyway? Never seen it. (hehe lol). When I start working again I'll get it fixed and probably buy a thrasher for the heavy miles and major stop and go traffic we get here in L.A.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I use one of mine for a DD. I enjoy it and will never buy another new car again. Last week someone egged my DD and now I need a new paint job but that would of happend with a new car also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use my 66 Stang as a "quasi-daily driver"; don't drive it on days I know it's going to rain, and I would never, ever drive it in the winter. In the mid 70's,when I moved up to the upper midwest, I immediately bought a "beater" to drive in the winter to preserve my 65 Tbird. Best move I ever did, still have that car.

There's a reason there aren't too many of these classics in the Great White North (RUST), if it were me, I'd drive every chance I got -- but only on sunny days! ;-)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I use my 67 as a DD, it's hasn't left me stranded yet, at least not with anything I wasn't able to fix in 30 seconds with a screwdriver. I cover it in the winter though and use my truck instead. A little less snow should make it last a little longer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use my 66 as a daily driver, and I enjoy every minute of it. I would not reccommend using it in the snow. Only once did I ever have to drive it in the snow, when 3" fell on the ground while I was at school. I barely made it to my friends house about 1 mile away, and was scared to death the entire way.

Dave

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You and SWMBO should reconsider which car gets the sheltered parking. The vintage Stang is not going to depreciate. The 2002 is losing value as we speak. If it's a good quality restoration it will be worth more and more as time passes. That is the value you need to protect. Buy your wife a car cover for the bad weather. The newer car is far more capable of withstanding the rigors of cold weather. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I use mine for an every day daily driver, rain or shine, but it sleeps in the garage. It's left me stranded about 4 times now in 2 and a half years, but those parts were about 30 years old so they needed to be replaced anyways. Aside from the gas mileage and gas prices, I have no gripes about it, and would rather drive it than a new car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well my '73 Mach 1 is my daily driver but I am definitely buying something else for the winter time as I live in Canada too. I've heard too many stories from my father about how his '71 Mach 1 rusted out 3 years after he bought it because he drove it in the winter. If I was you, I would do the same. That way, it'll last you for many, many years. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts