Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Mustang 1967 S-code coupe that has no p/s. If Purchased I am planning to add a factory correct set up. Has anybody done this addition and most important: Does it work well? Does it have any flaws compared with a Mustang that has factory p/s?

All opinions are welcome!!

Should I leave the car in stock form since it will perform better without the p/s?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Some points to consider, both for and against, to weigh your priorities upon:

1) Original is always best is you plan on shows.
2) Steering an S code especially at slow speeds w/o PS and with modern wide rubber is, how shall we say, a good muscle builder? So for daily driving, PS is a worthwhile consideration, especially if you have a SWMBO who will sometimes drive it.
3) Faster geared steering with PS (a good thing), but at a fairly significant loss of road feel (not really a good thing).
4) For enthusiastic driving, having feedback from the front tires in terms of understeer when cornering is beneficial, and all the more so with the BB up front.
5) Viability of adding on the PS setup.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks IFS STANG!!! I think you covered all points. I am single so swmbo wont be driving car but who knows who will be around by then...

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I added power steering to my '67 "S" vert. Knowing a good part of my driving would be to local shows, as said it's a big help driving and parking. Also as said you don't get a nice road feel on the highway. If you currently have none of the parts it will be kinda exspensive. One hose side of connection requires a two piece hose, low pressure I think. High pressure hose I paid $150 for NOS. There's on FE adjusting brkt to get, pump & control valve stuff common. Hoses frame brkt is tough to find I think, diff from small V8 cars. Also need power steering center link. Then getting right pump belt was somewhat of a pain depending on your pulley setup. That said I like it and won't hurt value of car because it's undoable.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I added factory p/s to my 351c powered '67 and have never regretted it. I do miss the road feel, but parking it is so much easier.

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
No puedo responder a tu pregunta, querido amigo cubano, porque no se de qué estás hablando.
¿Este es otro carro? ¡Chico, decídete ya!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am not a big fan of early Ford P/S. My coupe has a fast ratio steering box and it's not to difficult to drive without P/S.

Larry

·
Registered
498 Posts
jfstang said:
Some points to consider, both for and against, to weigh your priorities upon:

1) Original is always best is you plan on shows.
2) Steering an S code especially at slow speeds w/o PS and with modern wide rubber is, how shall we say, a good muscle builder? So for daily driving, PS is a worthwhile consideration, especially if you have a SWMBO who will sometimes drive it.
3) Faster geared steering with PS (a good thing), but at a fairly significant loss of road feel (not really a good thing).
4) For enthusiastic driving, having feedback from the front tires in terms of understeer when cornering is beneficial, and all the more so with the BB up front.
5) Viability of adding on the PS setup.
6) Addition of a new system to your vehicle that could (most likely) leak and cause headaches.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I like my Power Steering, but I have considered not putting it back in, although I will. The hoses are hard to find but they are out there in repro for the Big Blocks.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
The 67 has power steering. I like it. I drove it for several years (poor college student) without a pump. A real pain. The 68 is manual steering and it's a real hand full with a clutch trying to parallel park on a hill. I'm spolied by the power steering, but it's fun to drive one without, more power to the engine and sure can feel the road better. I think it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Dave

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
my sb coupe came with power steering, years ago when I put headers on it the heat kept on blowing the pressure hose, finally I disconnected the belt, when I put the stroker motor in I converted the pitman arm and center link to manual steering, I prefer the feel without the power steering, when parking just make sure it's rolling even a little before turning the wheel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I kept my early 67 Fastback orginal, except for the PS. I added a 68 PS system and the difference is night and day! Very nice, especially living in Japan with narrow parking spots. It is nice moving the wheel with one finger :) However, I pretty much had to buy three sets of parts off ebay to make a complete, working setup. One control valve was beyond restoration and I got one pump without any mounting brackets! My last setback was getting the steering adjusted so I had the same pull to the left and right; got that adjusted right the other day.

A lot of time and work went into getting all the parts, then modifying the 68 column (much safer than the 67) so I could keep the 67 sterring wheel and turn signal orginal.

Oh, I'm not really good at this sort of thing; I was only able to do it with the awesome help of the people here on VMF!

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts