Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!,

I just got my motor back from shipping. Here's the damage done to the motor.

Now the question is, is the $3.49 oil filter the only casualty? Should I worry about any other damage?

:shocked:

Now are the threads on the oil filter port of the block not bend? What should I look for?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
As long as the oil filter was on there tight, it should not have hurt the threaded connector. The thin metal of the filter should give way well before either the steel niple or the cast iron.

Any other damage? Was it dropped or just banged into something?

G

·
I would call the people that rebuilt the engine for you and ask them. You are probably ok but I would want them to note the damage just in case.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was just the filter that was damaged. I am going to take the garbage bags off to have a look.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I don't think that will cause any problems but you will know as soon as you get some oil pressure..Most filters are very flimsy and damage easily..What might be more of a concern is the dipstick hole in the side of the block..Was that wide open to the elements during shipping?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Not to sound anal but overspray on an oil filter is unprofessional. There are screw-on boss caps for that function.

Was the engine crated? It should've been in an enclosed (wood frame with plywood) crate. Inspect the oil pan for damage...also, like the dipstick hole, inspect for other openings to atmosphere.

I'd have a conversation with the shipper and the rebuilder.

Pat

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi!,

I just got my motor back from shipping. Here's the damage done to the motor.

Now the question is, is the $3.49 oil filter the only casualty? Should I worry about any other damage?

:shocked:

Now are the threads on the oil filter port of the block not bend? What should I look for?
Dun-no! No picture to look at???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.