Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One way or the other, the vert is getting a/c before next summer. David knows this. Today, he asked me if I wanted take the a/c components out of his new car and put them in mine. Mine had a/c from the factory, the PO pulled out all the stuff. Now, if we do this, when he is done with his car, David will probably get an all new setup for himself. But, I won't have to spend my tax season overtime money on air, so more money for other stuff.

So, what are the pros and cons of stealing his a/c parts? He has a 351w, I have a 302, does that matter? Besides saving my own project money, what should I worry about? ::

We are pretty sure it works, but due to the overheating problem on the way home yesterday, I couldn't turn the air on, except at the beginning of the trip. In fact, I was running the heater off and on for the whole way home. David didn't even get to drive his new car home, cause his back has been so bad, he can't handle bad seats. Talk about a long trip, keeping the speed under 65, running the heater with all the windows open on a 100 degree day. :: But hey, I got to drive his car first. ::

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'd hold out for all brand new parts, and let him fight the 38 year old stuff! ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Steph, the compressor, dryer, and such should work fine in your car, but I doubt that any of his brackets are going to work. I know that all the alternator and P/S brackets changed in '70, and am pretty sure that the A/C stuff did, too, but haven't confirmed that, since none of our '69's have A/C. Many are also different between the 302 and the 351w.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm not an A/C expert but I believe swapping over many of the components will be more trouble than it's worth.

Once you begin disassembly of the parts from his car and open the system to the atmosphere it's going to have to be purged unless you can cap everything off right away.

You'll also likely find that many of the parts on his car are junk anyway. Things like:

- the receiver/dryer and hoses aren't that expensive so it's best to start with new components.

- The condenser should be looked at carefully. If it's got any physical damage, get a new one.

- The evaporator should also be pressure-tested to see if it's any good.

- Test the compressor to make sure the clutch/pulley assembly still works. It has to work well enough to make a SNAP! sound when the clutch engages.

Overall, I think you'll put more time (and possibly the same amount of money since, as johnpro noted, you likely need all the mounting hardware in the engine compartment anyway) than if you just bought an aftermarket system made for your car.

Don't forget, BTW, you'll need to either cut your dash pad for the center vent or replace it with one for an A/C car. If David's is in good shape, you might want to swap those.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Gone for the weekend, and did I read correctly you guys added a new pony to the stable? Congrats! Gonna go further along to see if I can find the thread!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts