Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I put my engine back together, I wonder if I should block the exhaust cross over going through the intake. This is pretty much a summer car and I have an electric choke. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Unless I had a car that purely a race car, and wouldn't be useable on the street even if my transportation situation required, I'd leave it open. I will on the motor I'm building.

G

·
0 Posts
This is pretty much a summer car and I have an electric choke

I lived in Wisconsin (Milwaukee's East Side, to be precise) and we used to have a phrase for the seasons there:

10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding.

I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You could but be prepared for much longer engine warm up times (passage provides manifold/carb heat to help atomize fuel during cold weather).

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I had never considered it before, but I stumbled upon some posts on the subject, so it got me thinking. (Very dangerous)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You will notice very little (if any) difference. Most aftermarket heads come without exhaust crossover.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If this is not a race engine, there is no point. The object is to keep the hotter air away from under the carb. Cooler charge is more dense. If this is a street driven car, that area of the engine gets hot anyway from the thermal conduction. Having said that, IF you decide to do it anyway, the impact is minimal. Neither of my drivers have a functional choke and by the time I'm out fo the driveway, you'd never know it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts