Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy this 1965 C code coupe for $1800. It runs but looks a little rough. It has a straight 6 in it right now but is a C code car. I just hate seeing any vintage mustang rotting away. What would you do, buy or not?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hard to tell from just those pictures. From the outside it looks ok... it's all the lurking under that would scare me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You know it depends on some factors...
How much rust?
Can you drive it off the lot and home?
Do you have time to put some work in it, and not just let it rot on your property?
Will your wife make you sleep on the couch?
Do you have the space for it?
Is it in the budget to aquire an extra car just for the heck of it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Heck, the pictures look like it's a deal. But it's underneath the exterior where it can get bad. Check the floorboards under the carpet, the trunk under the insert, the front and rear rails; do a rust hunt. If it looks alright? 1800's not a bad price for it. (Heck, I'd buy it...)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think that a fair price although a 6 cylinder? well.. I prefer V8 myself.. but I think with a little love and care that car could be just sweet in the end... guess a lot of it depends on you.. do ya have the means to get her back into shape or not? Engine repairs, body and paint?? also interior if needed.. looks like a swell project car that's for sure.. I think its worth the $1800.00...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more pics. If I'm going to buy it will be today. Floor pans have rust but no holes that I can see.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I were you sir.. I would see about talking down the price just a little.. you might get it down some.. the way the economy is going.. wouldn't be a bit surprised if you did get some $ off.. and well... I would start with body work first.. at least get that rusting issue stopped.. rebuilding engines well..that can be done whenever.. but you really don't want that rust to get too much worse or you will be starting with a whole new body and under side to replace...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
be sure to check the cowl... repairing/replacing that is a huge endevour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts