Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new/rebuilt 4100 in a box in my garage, set up for a 302 and I'm wondering if I should put it on my car or sell it. I have a 1966 coupe with a 1971 302 engine, Holley Street Dominator manifold and Carter AFB - It was set up like that when I bought the engine back in 2005. BTW, the guy I got it from said it had a different cam but he didn't know which, also sounds to me like it's not a stock cam. The car runs fine, I had the Carter rebuilt in 2012 and it has been trouble-free since then.
I drive about 4000 miles a year, couple days a week driving to work and once in a while a long trip like last year to Grand Canyon. Hooker long tube headers and dual exhaust, SROD 4-speed trans and 3.55 rear if that matters....
So that's my question - should I switch to the 4100? If so should I use the same square-hole spacer currently on the car or the aluminum 4-hole spacer in the box? And I guess I'd have to convert it to electric choke too....
Thanks in advance for the opinions, I ask because folks tend to rave about the 4100.

IMG_7465.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looks pretty. I wouldn't want to get it dirty if you don't have to.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Since the rest of your car is modified and you're not concerned about looking stock, and your current set-up is working well, sell me (or someone) the 4100 and use the money to buy other stuff you need or want. I love my 4100 over the tuned Eddy 1406 (almost identical to AFB) I used to run, but that was just me. I'm a "look stock and still rock" fan.

·
Registered
888 Posts
No, you should not switch. Sell the 4100 to me!

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Folks rave about the 4100, but the accolades are well deserved. Now if what you have still works fine, then as someone said above it if ain't broke....
I switched to the 4100 some years ago and haven't regretted it at all. It depends upon your needs and how hopped up your motor is. If you think it would run out of breath with the 4100 (probably unlikely, but worth mentioning), then keep what you have if it works well.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No need for an electric choke if you switch to the 4100. You can purchase a long choke tube that runs down to your headers and clamp it to the down tube with hose clamps. It works fine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I’m a fan of the carter AFB. So I say keep it.
And learn all it’s features and how to tune it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts