Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I believe that when you loosen the bleeder, you get a gap between the brass seat and the threaded part, push the brakes and the pressure overrides the spring pressure and allows the fluid and trapped air to escape, as soon as the pressure in the system drops below that of the spring the spring seats the brass back on the seat in the caliper/wheel cylinder not allowing the air to be sucked back in.... maybe I'm crazy....
Ahh. These old eyes thought those were brass threads, not a spring. Pretty neat idea. I generally don't have problems with the pressure bleeder and it stops great, but I'll give it another bleeding before I put it on the trailer.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I’ve posted this a few times. I recently used a 1 man bleeder from harbor freight. I must say I was impressed. I did all 4 corners in about 20-30 minutes and I was taking my time. Very easy to use if you have a compressor.

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
I believe that when you loosen the bleeder, you get a gap between the brass seat and the threaded part, push the brakes and the pressure overrides the spring pressure and allows the fluid and trapped air to escape, as soon as the pressure in the system drops below that of the spring the spring seats the brass back on the seat in the caliper/wheel cylinder not allowing the air to be sucked back in.... maybe I'm crazy....

...and if there isn't a good seal between the threads and the bleeder the air gets sucked right back in.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I bled the brakes again yesterday with the power bleeder and with the wife but they are still distant. They work fine just not the feel I want. I like the manual proportioning valve and having a blast at the track today. My work assignment was the gate, what a cushy day.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,281 Posts
...and if there isn't a good seal between the threads and the bleeder the air gets sucked right back in.
My understanding is that the seal is the brass part.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Is it a race car if you can adjust the brake bias from the drivers seat?
View attachment 763019

All I did was swap the combination valve for the adjustable proportioning valve and now I've got the long travel brake pedal that I hear so much about? I pressure bleed a gallon of brake fluid through the system and the MC has check valves that work. I'll get the better half out in the garage tomorrow and bleed it the old fashion way.:eek:
That is odd. I've been fighting a long pedal in my truck. I'm tempted to temporarily bypass the prop. valve and see it it's better without it. It really shouldn't be a problem, but ....

21 - 26 of 26 Posts