Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had yet another episode of bad luck with Coppertone. The other day I was enjoying a top down cruise through town, when a piece of gravel falls off the gravel truck and WHAM I heard it hit. I didn't know where, but my windshield was okay. I hoped it hit underneath, but then forgot about it.

Well tonight I thought about it again, and went searching for the damage. It didn't take long to find it. Check it out. Just left of the D

Hood chip 1
Close up

I was crushed. I am striving to get the car as perfect as I can before the GN show. Now I painted my own car, and I can fix this, but I do have Hagerty insurance with a zero deductible. I'm considering filing a claim so I can be paid for my efforts this time. But at the same time, I don't want to get off to a bad start with Hagerty. I've had insurance with them for about 4 months now.

Whatya think?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
You mise well not go to the trouble. The amount of paint it will take to fix that isnt worth ruining your insurance for. That dent is also minor. My only concern would be maybe having to sand down the whole hood to get the color to match correctly.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just pick a gravel company, they will never no the difference.

By the way, that doesn't look like a chip - more like a deeeep dent!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ouch! That is nasty. My first thought was to say "don't file a claim if you can fix it yourself", but that is more than a paint chip!

For fututre reference,(at least the time I did it in Texas), you must get the drivers ID info (comapny, plate or vehicle number) AND be able to positively ID the driver to make it stick in small claims court, but the judge will back you if you document everything. Write down the info as soon after it happens as you can (including a description of the driver) and contact the company.

If they won't pay, sue them in small claims court. It's easy, they treat you seriously and it's not hard to prove. I'm not litigious as a rule, but this BS can only be controlled if haulers are held accountable.

In a civil matter such as this it is "the greater weight of evidence" rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt" as in criminal trials,

When you come in with pictures, your original notes and testimony, they are SOL as the only thing they can do is refute it happened, but if they bring records it will show that truck in that area at that time. They either know what the driver looks like or they don't. Either way it will only help.

BTW-don't fall for their "didn't you see the sign that said stay 200 feet back" and "not responsible for damage due to debris"? That's not the law, but rather a hurdle to get beyond in the process.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Ouch ! That hurts, but I guess it's the price you (and I ) pay for driving our mustangs as opposed to keeping them in the garage or trailer......Me, even though it hurts to get road chips, etc, I think it's worth it.

You might talk to the gravel co., if you can find out who it was....and I'd have a chat with Hagerty. Shoot straight with them. They've always struck me as good people and car guys to boot.

Luckily, you painted it yourself so you can concievable repair it too. If you get some insurance $$ you might even come out ahead....Sorry and good luck ! Dickson

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If it were I would not file a claim if you can do it yourself, you have only been with them a short time with this sort of little claim it brings up red flags with them. I'm sure they would pay it but let something else happen 6 months from now and than they might drop you after that.

Do you remeber anything about gravel truck? I don't know about just picking any gravel company, I would have a hard time doing that.

Just my .04
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts