Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some paint issues that need to be addressed on the roof of my 65 coupe. I was thinking of having a vinyl top installed in lieu of getting the roof repainted. Would it be cheaper to go that route? Any ideas?
thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The roof would need to be painted and sealed up well before you install a vinyl top or you'll be inviting rust. Also, everything except the smallest of imperfections will be visible through the vinyl since it's glued tight to the roof metal. Another consideration is the paint has to cure for something like 90 days before the top is put on so it can breathe all the vapors out. That said, I like the look of a vinyl top on a coupe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm planning to install a vinyl top on my car - it is a red car where the PO painted the roof white, and I want to maintain that look but make it a bit classier. However, depending on the color of your car - and the color of the vinyl - it can really alter the look a lot! You may want to do a photoshop mock up to help you decide....Also, any rust should obviously be taken care of before you install the vinyl.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
everything except the smallest of imperfections will be visible through the vinyl since it's glued tight to the roof metal
Respectfully disagree. Minor imperfections such as sanding marks or minor variations in curvature that would readily show with paint will be hidden by a vinyl top. While glued to the roof, the OEM style have a fuzzy backing and the thickness and texture of the vinly roof hide minor flaws far better than paint....

A "poorly" prepped roof for paint, will look pretty much the same as a vinyl roof applied over a show car finish.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The roof would need to be painted and sealed up well before you install a vinyl top or you'll be inviting rust. Also, everything except the smallest of imperfections will be visible through the vinyl since it's glued tight to the roof metal. Another consideration is the paint has to cure for something like 90 days before the top is put on so it can breathe all the vapors out. That said, I like the look of a vinyl top on a coupe.
My car is totally painted but when they sprayed the roof it looks like some dirt or water got trapped in the gun. There is an area about 1/3 of the roof that looks and feels lumpy. It could be sanded down and the whole roof would be smooth giving a good base for the top. I'm just thinking it would be an easier fix than trying to repaint and match and blend the roof with the rest of the car. Cost is a consideration also. Any idea what it would cost to install a vinyl roof?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
986 Posts
Vinyl top $110, Trim pieces $55, Glue $20. In order to secure the 2 trim pieces you must drill 3 mounting holes for the trim pieces, remove the rear seat, un-do the headliner at the sail panel interior. The trim pieces are secured with 3 nuts each behind the headliner. Also the windshield & rear window stainless pieces must be removed. An upholstery shop will charge $200-$300 labor to do the job. It is money well spent to have an upholstery shop do the job.

Neil Hoppe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Respectfully disagree. Minor imperfections such as sanding marks or minor variations in curvature that would readily show with paint will be hidden by a vinyl top. While glued to the roof, the OEM style have a fuzzy backing and the thickness and texture of the vinly roof hide minor flaws far better than paint....

A "poorly" prepped roof for paint, will look pretty much the same as a vinyl roof applied over a show car finish.
Agreed. I worded my response pretty strongly. I've seen vinyl tops put over bad bodywork and low spots created by previous rust and they showed badly. I didn't want the OP to think that a vinyl top is a cure-all to cover up imperfections.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, whether or not you should go with a vinyl top depends on your body, IMHO. :shocked:

I had one, it rusted, I'm planning on going painted next time around. It is nice that it only takes armorall to make them shine though.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I think vinyl tops look great on most coupes; it's very classy look. However, I'm a bit biased...

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I thought about doing this to my coupe. But the installer said the paint was in great shape and I was only asking for rust and cleaning problems (I was going to add a white top) later. He actually recommended that I didn't add the vinyl top.

So, long term solution I think would be to just have it painted, especially since you live in such a weather prone state surrounded by so much water.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Agreed. I worded my response pretty strongly. I've seen vinyl tops put over bad bodywork and low spots created by previous rust and they showed badly. I didn't want the OP to think that a vinyl top is a cure-all to cover up imperfections.
Yes, real bad bodywork will not go away!
:cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Vinyl Tops are on the way back!!!

I just had a vinyl top installed on my skylight blue coupe. It was the best way to set my car apart from the rest. It looks unreal! I was scared to do it at first but after it was installed I fell in love with it. I would really make sure the paint is cured before you install one. Also make sure you scuff the top well so the glue will have a really good surface to bond to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts