Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t grease mine the first time I put mine together but should I put some type of grease on the rubber bushings? I would think reg. grease could attack the bushings so I was thinking some type of silicone grease. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
My mechanic installed a zerk fitting on the z-bar, and I use chassis lube grease. He thought it was a better idea than not to have it lubed at all...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Rubber bushings?....If you are talking about the little balls on either end they should be a hard plastic/nylon type material..These shouldn't need lubed but I can't see how it would hurt.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I just put a light coating of greese on them from whatever was in my grease gun at the time. The z bar from my six cylinder set up did have a zerk fitting on it though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I got a tube of this Prothane grease for polyurethane bushings, $20 at Summit. It fits in the usual kind of grease gun.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/ptp-19-1751_w.jpg

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frdnut said:
Rubber bushings?....If you are talking about the little balls on either end they should be a hard plastic/nylon type material..These shouldn't need lubed but I can't see how it would hurt.
Maybe they are not rubber but they sure aren't little balls. Mine are cracked after 3 years and 2k so I think I'm going to lube them this time.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yep, I use lithium grease every six months or so. As I recall they are either nylon or delrin or something like that. I haven't replaced them since I assemebled the car in '91 and they looked good last time I cleaned and lubed them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts