Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 vert project needs a windshield. The original was cracked. I'd like to go the CarLite/Ford route for authenticity. Is this an easy install or am I better off leaving it to the pros?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I've installed two windshield in `66 Mustangs myself. `69 are easier since they have the ribbon style of gasket rather than the `66 "S" shaped rubber gasket. They aren't fun IMO. Picture below is for reference only, not trying to advertise for any certain dealer, Dean

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 69 vert project needs a windshield. The original was cracked. I'd like to go the CarLite/Ford route for authenticity. Is this an easy install or am I better off leaving it to the pros?
I did my own 69 windshield using a window caulking. It really wasn't too bad but it's a two person job. There are good videos on youtube as well as a few articles online how to do it. It was relatively simple and didn't leak.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
I’ve never bothered with one it was $200 to get it installed besides the price of the window so I figured I’d just have it done

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I've done 2 front windshields in a 67, & one rear for a coupe. Easy enough as I like doing what I can myself. Take your time, perhaps watch a video. Easy, mine was a Carlite

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I did my windows myself in my 67, which I think are a bigger PITA than doing them in the 69's. It wasn't that bad, just took some time. My wife helped me. I say go for it if you want the experience. Unless it's easier for you to slide the plastic.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Butyl can be a pain, but mainly in the prep. You need a cutter to cut the old seal and lift out the glass, and like anything you need to clean the pinchweld, and repair any rust or unpainted sections. Install the moulding clips. Lay in the butyl strip, place spacers on the lower edge, and carefully lower the glass into position. Once you are sure it's centered, gently press in place, then install the moulding.

Reactions: gt350sr

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
Bernstang may have the best answer, but you need to be sure they won't butcher your mouldings.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
I paid for front and rear glass. Done by a pro who knew mustangs. Well worth it.

Before I used to say paint and glass sure but now I even let a trusted shop change the oil such a pain to dispose of used oil in California.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I removed and replaced all the glass in my Mustangs because the first time the glass tech showed up with no gasket, used my gasket, sealed it incorrectly and it leaked. I have done several front and rear windows for myself and others since then because at least I know it will be done right and if not, I have no one to blame but myself.

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rear glass is a long list of cuss words and leaks. Oh man is that trim a piece of heaven. Haven’t found out about the front yet. Maker sure the installer is using the old school sealer, and putting that stuff
In the inside and outer lip. Some even use strip caulk inside the bead from what I’ve seen. Finally if going at it yourself use one of those “double handled suction cup things” and maybe have a helper and a proper stand to rest the glass on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm lucky. I have a small shop about 30 minutes away who will travel to your place and install it for cheaper than you can buy the glass anywhere else. It wouldnt hurt to look around to see if there is a reputable shop near by that will do it for a good price.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I installed my 69 windscreen with a friend. It is very easy. It just lays on the strip caulk. No rubber seal.

Remove the metal trims carefully as everyone says the original trims are better than the reproductions.

I got the old windscreen off with some welding wire pushed through the strip caulk and then I worked it on the inside with my friend on the outside. The strip caulk does not set hard so it is very easy to cut through.

While the windscreen is out, you can deal with any rust and/or painting.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Too bad you aren't closer- I'd be happy to do it for you for free, just to know some knucklehead rookie isn't going to F it up! lol. I do all my own glass- as stated, the '9 has no rubber, so it's very easy to install. 22GT pretty much nailed it. I'd add that once the glass is dropped into place, slap it open palmed to seat it all the way around. The 'old school' sealer doesn't apply to you- it's for rubber seal cars. That type of sealer is flowable, and remains pliable. You'll want to use the butyl setting tape one the pinchweld first, then after the glass is in, squirt urethane around the perimeter. With a flat putty knife, trowel the urethane to make a smooth seal from the metal to the glass all the way around. Easy to tell as the glass is clear- you can see the sealer fill the gaps and make a nice black color under the glass. It's like frosting the sides of a cake basically. If this is a one time gig and you'll never do another- pay someone and move on. If you think you may do more later- no time like the present to start learning, right? Good luck either way!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did auto glass for a couple years while in college. While Ford may have installed '69 windshields with butyl tape only (I don't know), I would never trust that by itself. You could probably push hard with both hands and pop it right out.

I second the use of urethane, but our approach was different than what gt350sr described. We would carefully trim down the old adhesive to a clean 45° chamfer and then apply a round, straight, continuous 3/8" diameter bead of urethane. Lay the glass on it, with spacer blocks at the bottom to keep it from sagging, and gently press it down all the way around.

If the pinch weld is clean down to the paint, you may need some butyl tape to keep from squeezing the urethane down too much.

Urethane is super nasty. Almost like working with POR15. 3M adhesive cleaner will remove it from hard, smooth surfaces, and get it off your hands......kinda.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
I've done a half dozen butyl tape windshields. It's not hard and if you use a little common sense, it goes easily. If you have any doubts about your abilities, and being able to secure a non-clumsy friend to help - have a pro do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts