Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a chance to buy a 351c for about 200$$, i wanted i 351w but i'm thinking about getting the 351c.
what are the big differences between the two and will it effect the ability for me to convert my 289 into a hipo 351?? the even bigger question is will it fit in my 68' stang with out to many modifications?

thanks...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, the 351C will fit in a 68 without any problems!! The 351C is and inch bigger, and has great flowing heads!! The 2v heads are more streetable than 4v heads!! Hope this helps!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are more choices for aftermarket components for the 351W, it is also less expensive to rebuild..trust me I'm doing a Cleveland right now. Cleveland motors differ in their cylinder heads with the 2V and less common 4V head a possibility of what you may have. Check it out.. the 4V head has enormous ports which tends to flow poorly at low rpm. If you have the 2V heads they are more suitable for the street. Either way its up to you. I suppose if I had the choice I would go with the windsor simply because many parts are made for this engine and they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got a 70 4v Cleveland with my 69 and am now replacing it with a Windsor for originality sake. I do think the Windsor is a more reliable motor but that's not to say that I don't like a Cleveland.

69 M code, 4spd, Mach 1(project)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i really want to know is how will it effect performance,as oppose to a 351 w

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Performance is more a function of your budget than the block you start with. You can get a 4 cylinder engine that outperforms a 289 hipo. In a purely theoretical "all things being equal" the cleveland may have a slight advantage, but if the parts cost more and "the budget remaining equal" then the windsor would have a slight advantage.

if your looking to build 500+ HP and if the cleveland has the 4 bolt main it would have an advantage.

Motorhead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts