Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 65 coupe, but the last owner gooped on a ton of rubberized undercoating -rus-fre). I'm wondering if it should remove it. The stuff still feels flexible, so I don't think it's at the place where it's dry and flaking off and causing real big problems, but I've stripped the body to bare metal for paint prep, and I'm wondering if I should scrape or blast the undercoating off while the car is still under construction.
I've seen horror stories about this stuff making rust a lot worse, but my modern cars had some too, so I'm wondering what the real verdict here is...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
How does the body look now that it's stripped to bare metal? Might give you a clue how the underside looked before the PO undercoated it. The concern I've always had with undercoating is: if the seal gets broken and moisture gets in, that's where the trouble starts.
If you've stripped the car as much as you have, I'd go the extra step and strip the underside. I did mine, and uncovered a bunch of areas that needed attention. Never want to do it again tho... just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Do it right, do it once, strip it.....
Is it a dirty, nasty pain in the R’sssss, YES and you’ll swear you’ll never do it again. But you’ll be glad u did it in the long run. And with everything else stripped, now’s the time;;;;;;;;;;;; Trust me.............

·
Registered
374 Posts
Stripping and finding problems now is better. Also, people nowadays are looking for that factory fresh red oxide primer bottom.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Undercoating is frequently used to hide underbody problems like rust or poorly installed sheet metal. My advice is to remove it or your concerns about what's under it will bug you even after your car is done.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Boy you could be looking for trouble. I did and some past owner really did a good job of hiding some pretty bad stuff. Even on the lift it looked good and sounded solid. Well there are some pretty crafty people out there. I done ground ups from A to Z and was fooled by my purchase - floors seemed and sounded solid. Oh well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts