Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some opinions. I’m getting some work done on my 70 mach 1 including upholstery and carpet, sail panels, etc. and I was considering replacing the package tray. From pics I’ve seen on concoursmustang.com, it looks like it’s probably original.

The top is in very good shape and it was cut for 6x9’s at some point. I replaced the speakers and you can’t see any defects from inside the car (nothing significant at least).

From inside the trunk though, underneath, it looks pretty rough with jagged cuts. Strictly cosmetic, but do you think it’s worth replacing the metal and cover, etc.? I’m thinking maybe not since you can’t see it inside and most likely original, but I don’t want to cut corners either. Thoughts/opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,302 Posts
Keep the original. You can't see the defects from the trunk view. I was going to replace mine with a repop, but it was horrible. So I fixed mine.

·
Registered
36,572 Posts
I you can see the underside of the package tray, the sound deadener is missing. Install that and your problems are over.

Or are you talking about the steel support? Replace it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m mainly talking about the steel support. I think I need to verify whether it’s missing the sound deadening, that’s a good point, and re-evaluate the condition of the steel support. Thanks for the input everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts