Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Not trying to discourage you at all from learning to weld and welding them in if that's what you really want to do (I took a welding class and bought a welder last year too), but for this project it's really not necessary.

As someone else noted above, I think I'd use panel adhesive for this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Go to WeldingTipsandTricks.com. Jody has many, many instructional videos that will take you through the entire process of MIG, TIG, or stick welding. Its and excellent site. I tried to get into a local welding class, but it is geared toward people who want to be certified, not the hobbyist. I tried for two years to get into a class, then finally found Jody's site. Its not like I don't have the prerequisites- I'm and engineer.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Going to try this over the weekend. Few quick questions:

Since my car is painted, where do i ground the welder? I assume I can't attach it to a painted surface.

I will be sanding down the sheet metal under the reinforcement plates. Should I put some weld thru primer on there first?

Will the electric circuit mess up my radio? I have a Retrosound radio with and amp Should I disconnect the battery? Anything I need to do to protect my electronics?

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Definitely disconnect the battery. No need to sand the entire area, just set the reinforcement plates in place and trace the holes you're going to plug weld, then sand that area. Place the ground as close to your welding as you can, you might be able to clamp directly to the plate. It's a good idea to seal the perimeter of the plates after you're done welding and painting.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts