Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new aluminum heater core in my 65. Not having used aluminum heaters before, I don't know if there is a correct procedure to install the hoses to reduce corrosion.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
The hose is rubber so there should be no particular corrosion between it and any metal, aluminum or otherwise. That said, I see no downside of a little silicone based grease.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've read the aluminum cores are junk and to spend the money on brass/copper so thats what I did on my 64.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If your concerned about corrosion, do two things: 1) get a radiator cap with a sacrificial anode and 2) be sure the radiator has a really good ground (I'd add a grounding wire).

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Personally I like to put a little grease on the inside of any hoses just to try and make them easier to take off next time. I don't know that it helps with any corrosion, but it does seem to make them a little less likely to get stuck in place.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would use spit inside the hose for easy install. Never silicon sealant as it is slicker than snot if dried then cracked apart, then re-used.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,273 Posts
Something water based. Dish soap works beautifully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts