Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I still stink at this body filler work. I applied a skim coat on the back of the quarter panel.. Turns out it needs more than a skim coat. But anyways, I'm sanding it, and it appears there at one point was a line that runs straight acorss near the bottom of the quarter. You can see it as a line of bare metal poking through the filler.

Should this be here? And if so, should it be flat underneath (Which it is, from my sanding) or still a curve down to the bottom. As well, should it flare out at the back of the rear wheel well? The other side is too mangled to tell, but it looks like there is no flare on teh other side, but there is on this side (At the very bottom back of the rear wheel. You can see where my sandpaper is not contacting the filler).

Thanks guys!

Forgot to mention it's a 67 fastback.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Yup!

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup as in it should be there? Now what what about below it? Obviously with my sanding blocks, I'm making it pretty much a flat piece of steel going down to the bottom of the car. Do I want to curve it somehow?

And what about at the rear wheelwell?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There is a little bit of a crease there for sure. And just a bit of flare at the rear of the wheel well too. I asked the same thing a few months back.

These are reproduction skins, but if you look hard you might see a little bit of the body line showing there.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
I think you can see that it's actually a bit concave below the body line.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes I agree, it should have just a bit of concave below the body line.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
That's a NOS quarter panel you see on my 68.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What does the pass. side quarter look like. If it has not had filler applied to it, it should be a good guage to go by.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I think you can see that it's actually a bit concave below the body line.

Yeah, for a bit until it goes convex again.

I actually expect to see that line on all the '67/'68's I see.

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts