Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install shoulder seat beats in my 66 coupe. Anyone out there done it? It doesn't seem as if there is a rib in the ceiling to weld to, but I haven't ripped out the headliner yet to find out.

How to's here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did this conversion on my '66 coupe about 6 months ago. I used the setup from Classic Mustang & Pony (a.k.a. California Concept Cars). Having a good headliner and paint and not wanting to tear or burn either up, I went with the setup that attaches to the upper most point of the door jamb. This will work on a convertible too. I was concerned that this would be too low of a shoulder mount point for me (6'1") but it actually works well. The retractor sits on the floor and with a little work can be placed completely out of the way for rear seat access. My only problem is that there is a little too much webbing and it doesn't completely retract. Maybe someday I'll remove 6" and restitch it. The extra does allow it to hang straight down when not in use through, again for easy rear seat access.
One last note: If you have a pony interior, the shoulder mount will interfere with the metal trim cap at the top of the door jamb. I'm sure it could be trimmed but you do have to work around this.
The whole setup with shipping was about $290. The seat belt parts can be had new at discount shops for over $100 less, but you don't get the custom stud and plate for the shoulder mount. You could weld one, but I didn't want to practice my welding technique on such an important part. I don't have pictures but could get some if you are interested.

'66 289/5sp

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am about to do shoulder harnesses in my 66 also. Could you send some photo's to [email protected], or send me a private msg here. TIA
Dan

every man must have a toy
98 Dodge Ram (mobile tool box)
97 Grand Cherokee (family hauler)
66 Coupe 289/c-4 (The Other Woman)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If pictures would'nt be too much of a headache, I'd sure like to see them. My project car will need a new head liner/interior (pony) and paint job, if any of that matters.

Again, pix would be great if not to big a headache. Thanx a ton.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DaveT-
Give me an e-mail address and I will try to send pictures of the seat belt installation. It will take me about a week to locate the digital camera though. Thanks.

[email protected]

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts