Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Convertible 289 auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys!
Just got my 1967 Convertible 289 with 3-speed auto this week...
It has:
  • a pretty solid metal (though some amount of rust is there on the bottom). Body work and some welding will be needed.
  • all original metal panels with matching numbers
  • original engine
  • original transmission
  • original carburetor
  • original brakes
  • no actual config changes except re-paint (red -> black) ~30 years ago. Paint has issues.
  • it is drivable, starting without issues
My goal is to make a quality show car (not a daily driver) out of it... Based on the inputs above - what do you think is the best strategy here:
1. Restore original color, restore all the interior to match the original style from the factory and keep as many original mechanics as possible (re-build the original engine and transmission, and etc) replacing only what is really faulty.
2. Pick any other color for interior and exterior I like. Put a new engine, transmission, disk brakes, etc...
Thank in advance for advice!

·
4,609 Posts
Depends on how you want to "Show" it. MCA style restoration or just something you are proud of? I am slowly changing my 69 from a driver back to original. It's not going to be 100% original, but unless a concours judge is looking at it, it's going to be pretty much original. I'm happy with it, and know I won't freak out if it gets rained on or dirty if I drive it. I'm honestly having more fun showing it at the car shows and cars & coffee events than the MCA judged shows. I enjoy talking to people who walk up and want to talk and ask questions, even those who say it's not a real Shelby or Rent-A-Racer. I do my best to educate them. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,235 Posts
I have taken my mostly-original car to cruise-ins and a few shows, and I drive it a lot. I enjoy both. You can, too. They were built to be driven but it takes a lot of work to clean and detail a driven car for shows. It's more impressive to me when I see an immaculate car when the owner puts the key in, it fires right up, and they say "See you next time!" as they drive it home. I've seen some show cars literally driven hundreds, even thousands of miles to great shows, and some from just down the road. Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I restored my 67 390GT vert 4 spd to "mostly orig" because this combo rather rare.
It has orig 390. So I kept orig paint & interior color. Came with front disc.
It's my car, not selling. So I did few factory type upgrades that are "period correct".
Like wheels, turn signal hood, orig am/fm radio & console. Added power steering & power top. Then of coarse Ford Tri-power setup. Also added an orig unrestored (no cracks) simulated wood steering wheel. But have an NOS aqua wheel in a box.
All the above options could be undone, but who would. Kept things like orig intake/heads/ non power steering link, just to have.
It's not an MCA type car, just nicely done to take to shows & enjoy it as I wanted it to be.
Don't be afraid to build how you like but look fairly stock. No regrets.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
The first thing you have to decide is to what standard do you want to restore and show your car.

Concourse, restomod or something in between?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first thing you have to decide is to what standard do you want to restore and show your car.

Concourse, restomod or something in between?
I was thinking about "Show Car" level... Closer to MCA but something I can drive on weekend for pleasure, not shows only...

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
A nice "driven show car" cool, kinda what I did.
Attention to details important. Correct hardware, better chrome parts, correct glass. OEM parts where ever you can. When having car painted, the best job (I believe and so did my body shop) is have all panels and car painted apart but at same time. That way all seems and rounded edges like at door and quarter panel get full coverage. orientation of things like door handles & window cranks. Put front Hi/Lo horns on in correct orientation. Front 67 grille orig was a blueish gray similar to 65, not black like many are. Black was a service replacement item in 70's.
And like at other nicely done cars, shows & older book pics. And AMK complete hardware kit may not be perfect but pretty darn good.
Have fun building and driving.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A few things I have learned about car shows, and this includes small local shows to the big city all Mustang shows:

Original engine, tranny, sheet metal, carburetor, brakes, etc. gains you no points. No judge or participant voter will ever know.
The under side of your car will never be seen. (unless you're one of those people that uses mirrors)
If you have your original style hub caps instead of big shiny wheels and wide tires, most people aren't as interested.

Build it exactly as you want it. I like my stock engine, the original looking metal that surrounds it and the hub cap covered 14" wheels it rolls on. I'm sure you will love yours also. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: Rocky67

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few things I have learned about car shows, and this includes small local shows to the big city all Mustang shows:

Original engine, tranny, sheet metal, carburetor, brakes, etc. gains you no points. No judge or participant voter will ever know.
The under side of your car will never be seen. (unless you're one of those people that uses mirrors)
If you have your original style hub caps instead of big shiny wheels and wide tires, most people aren't as interested.

Build it exactly as you want it. I like my stock engine, the original looking metal that surrounds it and the hub cap covered 14" wheels it rolls on. I'm sure you will love yours also. Good luck and have fun.
Totally agree!

My only concern here is SAFETY/RELIABILITY:
1. Some people say engine and transmission swap is more reliable... Disk brakes are 100% the must for SAFETY reasons.. IRS+IFS for better driving..
2. I think: This combo of ENG, Trans, brakes etc was design to work and it used to work... and it still works! So, if I rebuild it and I do not daily drive, do not race track... I can keep as much original as i can and it will still be safe enough to drive to my local Vineyard or Creamery on Sundays..:sneaky:

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,449 Posts
Totally agree!

My only concern here is SAFETY/RELIABILITY:
1. Some people say engine and transmission swap is more reliable... Disk brakes are 100% the must for SAFETY reasons.. IRS+IFS for better driving..
2. I think: This combo of ENG, Trans, brakes etc was design to work and it used to work... and it still works! So, if I rebuild it and I do not daily drive, do not race track... I can keep as much original as i can and it will still be safe enough to drive to my local Vineyard or Creamery on Sundays..:sneaky:
You don't need disk brakes. While nice, you will be just fine with drums and improved shoes. Hence nothing performance orientated in your build.

FYI, your car has IFS(independent front suspension already, just not in the rear)

Chris

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
No reason NOT to do the underside. I look at the undersides all the time. It shows whether or not the
owner really cares about cleanliness, workmanship, fit and finish, etc. Do the WHOLE car. I think entering an MCA show in Occasional Driver class is an excellent start for showing. That said, cars in the OD class will not have
the undersides judged, but more information can be gleaned from MCA.org

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Take it to a show as is and correct all the deductions, or...blow it apart and put it back to OE specs.
It would be cheaper and easier to sell it and buy a trophy winner from another part of the country.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
After a while, Concours gets old. But, if you are planning on entering a National MCA show in a Concours class, the color change is automatically going to drop it out of a gold award. So, plan accordingly.
And, a color change won't earn enought points for the Modified class. You'll have to do more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts