Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas to spruce up my bare metal trunk. I'm not keen on dropping 500 bucks for the plastic and fabric MTF kit, so I'll make my own. No tire in there for me =)
BTW, anybody have suggestions of what carpet to use?
I'm thinking plywood core panels wrapped in carpet ... unless you have better ideas?
Any tutorials / pointers / tips are very appreciated!

Dr C

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks to both!
Keep em coming!!
My searches yielded so-so results... lots of posts with pics no more =(
Gimmie inspiration =))

·
Registered
743 Posts
@Mike the old grump
Found it
There it is!
I was searching for slot cars. I forgot it started as a stereo post.

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
25+ years ago I bought some rolled automotive carpet at a chain store (I think Pep Boys). It's kind of a weave without backing. I created a thin plywood back on the back of the back seat. I was able to carpet the trunk using 3M spray adhesive. It has held up great. I used lots of little clamps to make the seam over the wheel well lip. Windlace would work well to do that too. Sorry I don't have pictures. Much like the picture above, black does not translate well. :) I did the sides and back and then did a section down the middle over the tank. This came in handy when I replaced the tank. I was able the peal the carpet off the old tank and re-install. The beauty of the 3M spray adhesive is that it sticks well, but will release. For such a seemingly cheap product the carpet really works. Just don't get burrs in it. The one thing I never liked about Mustangs was the plaid factory trunk mats...yuck (sorry, just my opinion)

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you contact your local custom auto interior place, ask them for loose high-end carpet in the color of your choice.

I cut two pieces of plywood to level the trunk floor, bolted it down, then laid heavy Mercedes black carpet over it all. Total cost ~$45. It looks grey in this pic because of lighting but it’s a deep black.
20318EC4-7F47-4E47-9200-98F189EB03EF.jpeg

Reactions: JEFFinOC

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm looking for ideas to spruce up my bare metal trunk. I'm not keen on dropping 500 bucks for the plastic and fabric MTF kit, so I'll make my own. No tire in there for me =)
BTW, anybody have suggestions of what carpet to use?
I'm thinking plywood core panels wrapped in carpet ... unless you have better ideas?
Any tutorials / pointers / tips are very appreciated!

Dr C
I made this from MDF and thin fiber board I have two 10" subs on bolth sides

Attachments

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
You know if you just put a ton of stuff in your trunk, no one will ever know if it's cleaned up or not. So here's what mine looks like, nearly 100% of the time:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mines full of crap.

rags..check
armor all..check
extra oil..check
beer..CHECK
cardboard for sliding under car..check check
At least your "crap" is car related + beer. I just store crap in the trunk I can't find a place for anywhere else in the house/garage.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts