Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new shower manifolds (where the hot/cold water is mixed and turn handles to get it out) some kind of low flow stuff? I replaced the old manifold when I put in a new tub, the new "Caulk-less snap together type unit". The flow is just ridiculously slower than before. Of course the spousal unit complains that she can barely get the shampoo out of her hair. Red heads get really ill about such things....well most things anyway...lol :frown2: I've gotten weary with her whining on this. How do I rectify this situation and get more water flow?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good luck in this age of reduce reuse recycle,low flow/water saving plumbing is the standard ,fire hose pressure/volume plumbing is out of vogue.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Did you replace the shower head? If so,the restriction is most likely there. All new ones come with restrictors installed to save water. This is usually easy to remove. Just unscrew the shower head & look in the end where the threads are. There is a small rubber piece ( washer type) in there. I use a long drywall screw to remove it. This is your water restrictor & if removed will make your shower feel like normal once again.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My shower valve had a plastic ring on it so it could only turn so far. Once I took the handle off and started poking around it was pretty obvious that's what was causing the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if yours has something similar keeping you from turning the handle all the way to 'full'.

They really should mention this sort of thing on the box or that little rice paper thin multilingual instruction insert so you know how to fix it before you get it installed, but maybe that's just me.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Believe it or not I know of a guy who uses a garden hose hanging over a tree limb as a shower. I bet that's fun in the winter!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
When i had my inground pool i would get a five gallon bucket of water from the pool and set it in the sun to warm up and take a pool water shower after a hard days work by using the five gallons to lather up and pour the rest over my head and then jump in the pool without taking all my sweat and dirt in the pool, hardly ever had to put water in the pool as in florida in the summer we get an afternnon shower. A great way to get refreshed for free! Wes

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll take a look inside the shower head (hand held water pik new unit).

·
Registered
787 Posts
What brand of control is it? They are all low flow now, but some have adjustment built into them that will let you "turn it to 11" a little. The cheaper ones tend not to have any adjustment, but are generally easier to modify. Let me know what brand it is and I've got a buddy (a real plumber) that I can ask. Then there's the shower head itself. It sounds like you're on that already though.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If it is restricted, there is probably a removable restriction piece.
The newer units are on to that, drill bit is required on the better units these days. The internet is your friend.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You need to hook up with this guy and get the Commando 450 >:)

John

·
Registered
787 Posts
What brand of control is it? They are all low flow now, but some have adjustment built into them that will let you "turn it to 11" a little. The cheaper ones tend not to have any adjustment, but are generally easier to modify. Let me know what brand it is and I've got a buddy (a real plumber) that I can ask. Then there's the shower head itself. It sounds like you're on that already though.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh Sooo! There was a little blue disc when I unscrewed the shower head. Like it was said, a screw in it and snatched it right out. It will knock her down now...maybe she will get off my arse now....or maybe not....lol 0:) Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Living here in California, low flow is mandatory. I'm sure a person would get jail time for messing with the shower head. A few years ago the bride and I took a cross country car trip. The hotel where we stayed in Memphis had a shower that would peel skin. One of the highlights of the trip.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Since this thread has been washed off from the dust of history,

whenever I install a new plumbing fixture, I always turn on the water WITHOUT the fixture in place to check water flow. It can be messy, so a pan is ready, but it

1) validates I have no obstructions upstream of the new fixture

2) blows out any crud that may be in the line.

And yes, rip out the low flow washers.

I also back wash the fixture, removed the screen, etc. and you would be amazed how much crud flows out of them, which would have been trapped in the screen or deeper.

I put one like this in the MB shower area several years ago. The Boss LIKES much:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Stainless-Steel-Shower-Panel-Tower-LED-Display-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-5-Shower-Ways/303077439642?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item4690d2b89a:g:cl8AAOSwZgxbjODe&enc=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&checksum=30307743964262a5df9756004dbd87f3169e75b3cac0

1 - 20 of 23 Posts