Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1850-4 Holley is flooding. I drove my 65 FB the other day on the freeway. Got on the local road and the car died. Checked the carb and it was flooded. With a dime and some luck I adjusted the float and the fast idle screw enough to get me home. Decided to rebuild the Holley, tore it down, replaced the replacables, the jets, idle mix screws and all looked ok. Back on the car and couldn't get it to run long enough to adjust. Would run @ WOT (scarry, didn't know the 289 would hold up to 6,000RPM). Took the carb for a professional re-build. Carb guy tore it down and said "Every thing looks ok to me, but I'll go through it". $100.00 later, back on the car, start, idle and ran fine with a little tweeking of the floats, idle setting and idle speed (550RPM with A/C on and in drive - 750RPM in park and A/C off). Ran great until a short 100MPH blast down a backwoods blacktop and the little darling flooded just like before! Dime in hand, I tweeked it home.
I have the original Ford 4100, might re-build but already dropped $200+ in the Holley. Looking at the Edlebrock 1403 (500CFM, electric choke) as a replacement ($300 with tax). Haven't heard a lot of positive info on the forum about the Edlebrock carbs. 289 has mild cam, Edlebrock 289 Performer intake. Any ideas on the Holley's problem(s)is appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Haven't heard a lot of positive info on the forum about the Edlebrock carbs."

You must not have looked too hard for that info,They sing the virtues of the Edelbrock carb around here

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Can't beat the old autolite 4100's for all around general performance, maintenance (lack thereof), and rebuildability. I'd go with that, since all you have to invest in is a $20 rebuild kit.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
you do have a fuel filter before the carb?? trash will make it flood....and if the filter is 3 millenia old and a metal filter substrate, it could have corroded and be spewing itself into the carb

I find that when I put new float valves in, they usually need a readjust and then theyre fine

it is possible that a float is full of gas/damaged, or its pivot sticks....it has to move freely

if you just go bananas and put an edelbrock on, and trash is causing the prob, it could just as easily do it with the edelbrock

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Your Holley almost sounds like it has a needle and seat problem. When it is flooding were is the fuel coming out of? If coming from the vent tube replace the needle and seat and maybe the float and it should take care of it. Good Luck

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Any popping or backfiring during the run or coming off of the run? I had a blown power valve in a Holley, it poured fuel through. I could make the car run (barely) but cutting off the rest of the flow (adjusting idle speed and float settings). This would make the series freeway run, blown valve, your carb rebuild (new power valve), misadjusted float valves (they are a bear on my car), outside rebuild, 100 mph run, blown power valve.
The other question on my mind is where your fuel pressure is at. Higher rpm would mean higher pressure, but I don't know how this would hurt the carb.

Carl

Carl

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Silly question, now are you determining your flooding? Fuel gushing all over the engine is a dead giveaway that the float is having a problem. I'm not sure which holley that is but might it be that your secondary jets are just way to big? The power valve may also be comming into play. If you changed cams you may have the incorrect power valve and be dumping fuel like crazy with just a minor load. Do a web search for tuning tips for holley, i'm sure you'll find a good one. This is what i hate about holley carbs. There are so many things you can adjust that its very hard to get them tuned in.

If the problem is the float and needle valve that should be a straight forward problem to fix. Give the holley a bit more time, it should be fine.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Here is what I did once. I bought a swap meet Holley 1850. It was in reasonable shape. I rebuilt it without looking at a parts explosion. What I DIDNT realize is that the secondary "sandwich" is body, gasket, THIN METAL PLATE, gasket, metering plate. I was missing that thin metal plate. Gas POURED into the manifold. No stopping it. Since you had it running before, doesnt sound like this is your problem... I jsut thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hang on to your metering block Holley (1850's have secondary metering blocks which I prefer for best tuning) and work out the issues..

Questions:

When the carb "floods", does gas come out of the main venturi nozzles and/or bowl vent tubes? If you were to remove the sight screws on the bowls, would gas pour out of there as well? Does the car pour out black smoke and blubber before finally dying?

What kind of fuel filter do you have and have you done any maintenance to the fuel supply system recently (tank to carb)? Have you recently switched fuel suppliers?

Holley's can handle pretty high fuel pressures (I've run as much as 10 psi in the race car) with no complaints, at least IME...

My instincts are that there is something simple, either in the carb or fuel system, which we are overlooking...try putting the 4100 back on and see if it floods too...

Get back to us....

PS...just wanted to note for the record that this is my 5000th post on the new forum...hehehe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Do have filter inline and holley "screen basket" in carb.
2. No evidence float is full or not moving freely (thought of that one too).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No popping or backfiring. The power valve is a 6.5mmHg and has "blowout protection" according to Holley.
Fuel pump is a standard mechanical autolite - don't think the pressure is out of specs but haven't checked.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1850-4 is a 4160 type 600CFM 4bbl, vacuum secondary system and side hung floats, no secondary jets, meter plate. Yes, fuel is pouring out of the primary (front) air vent. Power valve is a 6.5mmHg, ran same before and after cam change with NO problems. Agree, seems like too many things to tweek to get tuned-in. Needle valves are new replacements from rebuild kit and float is good (no gas inside) and free to swing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, some of the Holleys have that secondary metering plate and some don't. This one didn't have it. Thanks anyway.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. Fuel floods out of the air vent tube (front only). Just wimpered and died, no smoke or anything. Yes, when the sight plug was removed from the front, gas poured out in a stream, the rear was just the expected trickle.
2. Standard 65 Ford type "can" filter less than a year old, no recent fuel tank or line maintinance. Same old SHELL gas where I fuel up my other vehicles.
3. Have to rebuild the old 4100 before I try it (trying to avoid that).
Thanks

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Sound like you you have something holding the needle and seat open on the primary side or bad float. Take the front bowl off and be careful that you do not jar anything. Inspect the needle and seat to see if there is anything that is keeping it from closing.If it were mine I would replace the needle and seat,float and fuel filter and I think that would solve your problem. Good Luck

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
1850-4 is a 4160 type 600CFM 4bbl

hehehe...I kept seeing 4150 instead of 1850...guess I've been making "too many" posts...

Examine your primary needle assembly carefully...it is possible to get a bad one new and also the o-ring could be nicked or cut (which seals the assembly to the bowl cavity ID)...just for the heck of it, try swapping needle assemblies and see what happens...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts