Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between a full length big pipe system on #383 or a '65 Shelby style 3" side exit exhaust. Who is running side exhaust? Which mufflers? Stainless Works has round Chambered mufflers that are 3" in/out and only ~3.5" in diameter. Dynomax has round race 3/3 mufflers that are 4" in diameter, they've ..got.. to be loud. Suggestions? Loud (Flowmaster 2-chamber loud) is fine. Any pics?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dang it, you beat me to it. I was gonna post something like this earlier, but i got tied up. I'm interested to see results...
Also, sorry to hijack, but i just wondered wherei can find 00 Cobra R side exhaust tips. That's all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm running 2 1/2 out the side, I just go from the headers into H pipe, into cherry bombs, and out the side. It sounds pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.I've got a 65 hipo with the Shelby exhaust.Tri-ys with the H-pipe and the tail pipes kicking out in front of the rear wheels.No mufflers,just pipes. ::It sounds very nice.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Veronica,

NO mufflers? My kinda woman!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left a message for Spintech two weeks ago about a pair of 344SCS (3" loud) or 444SCS (3" louder) but never received a response. `Figured I could come in the front, exit the front into a 60*ish and directly out the sides in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
3" pipe is too much unles u r running more than 400+HP. i think u should run 2 1/2 pipe with 40 series flows.........thats what i run and it sounds so mean , you will love it......

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Just did the exhaust on my 66 fb . Shorty Hedman headders into x-pipe and Dynomax mufflers with the inlet/outlet both on the front of the muffler and then out in front of the wheels . All in 2.5" . Sounds great . Copied from gt350clone . Thanks .

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I had it to do over I would run Roadracers suggestion of Spintechs with the in/out on the same end. I did flowmasters in/out on the opposite ends and had to kind of snake my way back to a side exit. It's not as butch as it sounds, but I don't like the 2 1/2 pipe exiting at a true 90. I like a little angle to the exit pipe. I have really been thinking about cutting off the mufflers and just running cone inserts. I'd run no mufflers ala' my hero roadracer, but I have been running SCCA solo and they do state cars must have mufflers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Spintech again and finally spoke with them. I was looking for their 444SCS mufflers but as it turns out they don't actually make them. Ended up ordering a pair of 344SCS. 3"in/3"out/front/front. The soundclip they have of the 92 Mustang on the dyno is with SCS mufflers but 2.5" and somewhat quieted by cats. I don't believe I'll be running cats. ;)

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

Will hopefully make it to the muffler shop in the next week or so to have a mandrel 3" system bent, H-pipe, exiting in front of the rear tires at and angle and projecting 1.5" beyond the rocker panel flange ala '65 GT350. The angle of the original '65 systems was ~52* as measured from the flange to the rear of the exiting pipes. I may shorten it up a bit to something in the 40s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts