Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im probably going to just splurge and go for the side exhaust setup ive always wanted. so im looking for brands of mufflers that have the inlet/outlet on the same side so i can have it routed properly to come out in front of the rear tire with either a chrome tip or just pipe.

so ive been looking around the net, and i THINK i am going to go with spintech mufflers bc they seem to sound pretty good and i HAVE heard them on a friends 5.0 and i liked the sound.

but i couldnt find ANY side exhaust setup sound clips for a classic mustang. so does anyone on the forum run side exhaust and have a sound clip i could hear?

and also, how is yours setup, and what type of mufflers are you using.

im going to keep the x pipe intact, but just change the mufflers etc

thanks

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
No sound clips . Have Hedman shorty headders with x-pipe and Dynomax super turbo mufflers on my side exit . Sounds very nice and distinctive . Make sure the mufflers are not to close to the diff in case you need to remove the center section . I would also consider having flanges installed at the mufflers so you can remove the intermediate pipe w/o having to remove the mufflers . Hope this helps .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I just went with the shelby style side exhuast.
Headers into 2 1/4" straightpipe with glasspacks and the exiting out the side.
Nice and loud. ::
When I get around to finishing the car I'll redo the exhaust and add and x-pipe to equal things out.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Wow...that exhaust GT350Clone built is a work of art!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
A side exit exhaust is not going to sound any different than the same setup with an over the axle and out the rear exit. The things that make the biggest difference in sound are headers vs. iron manifolds, cross-overs vs. full dual, and the type of muffler you run. That last five feet of tailpipe taking the exit over the axle and out the rear would make very little difference at all.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had a dual 3" side exhaust on my 68 before I tore it apart for the resto. I still have the whole setup leaning against my wall if you interested in more pics. the Muffs have cutouts for straight headers. Your side pipes will sound the same as your straight setup. Arrangement of different diameter header tubes and different mufflers will change the sound.

http://users.zoominternet.net/~Natedogg01/car24.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts