Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am doing a 68 J-Code coupe. The driver's window was out of it when I got it, but present with the car. So, I go to install the window yesterday, and for the life of me, I can't get it to fit.
The quarter window acts as if it is not setting far enough back for the window runner to fit into the runner channel. If it is in at the top, it is out at the bottom. My buddy and I worked on it for a long time, with no success at all. I finally just walked away from it, totally disgusted.
When you try to roll the window up (I installed the regulator), you get to a point and the front of the window starts tilting either up or down, depending on whether you are rolling up or down. It does not go up level.
All of the regulator rollers are in the proper channels.

Any help would be appreciated. This thing is frustrating me to death!

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Hi,
I'm sure you'll get a few better responses from someone who has gone through the same procedure recently, but, if it is anything like a 65, there are a number of adjustment points. A good shop manual specific for your year will indicate the details of the adjustments. At least, the manuals I have did.
It is a PITA installation, for sure.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Going throught the same on my '68 coupe. I would rather install a convertible top than deal with replacing windows and all the associated bits... a slow and tedious process... even more so if reworked panels are involved...

I've found getting the rear 1/4's done first, then working the door windows works best.. but it is a PITA job, amazed Ford folks could do it in a few minutes on an assembly line...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side window installations issues

Going throught the same on my '68 coupe. I would rather install a convertible top than deal with replacing windows and all the associated bits... a slow and tedious process... even more so if reworked panels are involved...

I've found getting the rear 1/4's done first, then working the door windows works best.. but it is a PITA job, amazed Ford folks could do it in a few minutes on an assembly line...
I appreciate the response. Yea, I am sure the manuals will help (I'm lazy!). But here is the thing. I am also doing a 67 coupe. Yesterday afternoon I installed the passenger side window. No issues whatsoever. Slipped right into the channels on either end, with good clearance and fit.

Man, this just confuses me even more on the 68!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts