Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help for my exhaust. I want to run side pipes on my 68 coupe and I was wondering if summit sells them. I assume im looking for a 45 degree bend? It has a 302 so I was thinking that 2.5 inch would be the best. Also I was wondering what the difference between a glasspack and a normal muffler is. Is it just louder and more air flow?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I would love side exit exhaust for my '65 coupe. AzPete (I don't think he visits this site anymore) has a video of his exhaust:

I have 18" glasspacks with 2.25" pipes exiting in front of the rear wheel. True old school sound and
I can carry on a conversation and hear the radio. I get loads of comments.
The video is on another site. I will try to find it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ps. If you are using a glasspack style muffler because of space restrictions, or you just plain want a straight through design, search around, their are much higher quality designs out there!

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Looking for some help for my exhaust. I want to run side pipes on my 68 coupe and I was wondering if summit sells them. I assume im looking for a 45 degree bend? It has a 302 so I was thinking that 2.5 inch would be the best. Also I was wondering what the difference between a glasspack and a normal muffler is. Is it just louder and more air flow?
As is noted, there is not much love for glass-packs. However, a "powerstick from Classic Chambered exhaust is very nice and, can be custom ordered for length.
I found this valuable when fabricating a custom muff pack for my EType.
See:Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Products
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went with side exhaust during my resto. Used stainless Bullet straight through mufflers and 3 inch's throughout. It sounded mean as hell at idle, but it was just too damn loud going through the gears..... And I like loud. Stayed with that for about 2 months and then swithched to dumps at the rear, still 3 inches, with magnaflows (still straight through). Still loud but sounds much, much, better.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had two side-exit systems on my '65. Here is a shot of my old 2.5" stainless system with Thrush glasspacks (Thrush 24240 - Thrush Stainless Steel Glasspack Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com) and a 45-deg bends on each side...

I actually liked the tone, and didn't find it any louder than other modified Mustangs you see on the street. Regarding bends, 45 would work but I'd design it where the exhaust isn't shooting directly on your tires. 60-70 degree bends are more ideal, imo, as you can run the tubing further back on the rockers and leave a bit more room for an intermediate pipe if you want one.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have side exit pipes and Dynomax race bullets all through an X -pipe. Sounds good if you like that sort of thing ;^)

and at speed on the track

·
Registered
243 Posts
Forgot to say that another reason I switched was because I am running full length subframe connectors, and even after i notched the sidepipes a little to pass over them, the pipes just hung too low.... and I ended up not liking the look.

Just something to consider before going with the side exit.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I ran 22" Blue Flame glasspacks for years on my '65 vert until the packing blew out then went to Flowmaster 50 Deltaflows. I Ran a cross pipe to increase torque and balance flow and soften the sound a bit. They are total old school and sound great! I would recommend 2.25" pipe. Side exhaust would be cool and any decent muffler shop could do the job. Maybe have them clamped instead of welded so you can get them off if you don't like them and have the shop run pipes out the Bach. I say try it and see how you like 'em.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
Glasspacks aren't known for the best sound quality. As far as i know the baffles are constructed of fiberglass or some ceramic material. They deteriorate and will begin to sound like crap after some miles. A decent set of chambered mufflers and 2.25./2.5/3" exhaust is the way to go.
50's Corvettes with optional engines usually had chambered mufflers, 4" diameter about 2' long, straight through. No glass packing to blow out. Sound perfectly normal if you take it easy, but if you get on it, you better be on good terms with the neighbors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have side exit pipes and Dynomax race bullets all through an X -pipe. Sounds good if you like that sort of thing ;^)

I really like the style of your car and the sound. I want to go with a more race car look as well with side pipes and american racing mags. What length mufflers did you run.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Planning for subframe connectors is a good point. There are other threads on the forum regarding this topic, and there are more involved subframe connector designs that will allow virtually any style side-exit system.

If you don't mind a bit of cutting, fabbing, and some intrusion into backseat legroom, a through-floor design is an option.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Personally I think glasspacks sound like [email protected] They're cheap for a reason.

But opinions are like a$$holes, and everyone has one.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts