Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know. I crunched the front of the Mustang... see it here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcmeyer5/pain/DSC00313.JPG

This caused me to drink mass quantities of liquid bread... see results here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcmeyer5/pain/DSC00316.JPG

So today I began the process of getting the car estimated. I had my body shop check it out. My agent said that the body shop and the adjuster would have to work out differences in the price. Cool with me.... except the adjuster left a message on my machine stating that they would cut me a check off of the field agent's estimate... with no regard for what my body shop estimates. I feel a violation of my anus coming on. I have never had good luck with insurance companies. I see no reason to think I would have luck now. I am gonna call and get the issue clarified tomorrow. If they even THINK about totalling it... I have no idea what I would do. It would be driveable except for the punctured radiator.

To top it off... my wife's car is having problems now. Now we are down to a single working vehicle. Hopefully her car is simply the alternator, and we get it back tomorrow.

I dunno... I just wish I had got the flu, pneumonia, fractured vertebrae.. whatever would keep me out of my car on Monday.

*sigh*

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jim:
Sorry to hear (and see about your damage!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ) But if I can help.... I can PM you about some suggestions on dealing with the insurance company and your repair bill!!!!!! I hope I can help! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
THe biggest problem with Insurance agencies is they go by what THey think it is worth.......

If you show them the Fair market value.....aka winning prices on Ehay proces on autoshopper car mags

etc.....I am sure they would make sure and fix it right.

I have AAA and have never even had problems with them

I have had to go down and get estimates minus my deductible and they cut a check!!!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Sorry to see that. Let me know if I can help. I'm also a gun collector (hint hint). Wait that would be to painless, an adjuster needs something more drawn out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I Know how you feel...

Do a search by username for Columbo and you'll know why....

Here's one reason:
http://members.chello.nl/a.schroeders/damage/mu_dmg2.jpg

My front was damaged and it will cost about 7000 Euro's (newest estimate) to put it right with original panels.....

I'm waiting at this very moment on my body shop guy to call me with the verdict the appraiser/adjuster has given....

We hope to get permission to fix it up on the bases of "actual costs" will be repaid. This would mean that even if I go passed 7000 euro's it will still be paid for by the insurance company.... But, I'll have to wait and see first...

So I guess I'm feeling a lot like you at the moment.... Please don't let them total my baby.....

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can use any hints you might have. I dont want to scam them... all I want is my car fixed properly by the correct shop.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Oh Man.....sorry to hear (and see) that. Well at least you were not hurt.
I doubt they will total your car over that. Can't really see if the fenders or inner fenders got nicked. If not it should be pretty straight-forward a repair.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There might be something in the plan of letting them total the car and buying it back from them..at least ask about it if they start talking about totalling it..Maybe have in your mind what you figure you can fix it for....

G

·
Yes, Do what Art said. AND, tell them that you can always drag your attorney or the state insurance comission in on this and really make their life miserable too. Is it your insurance handeling the collision? I once had a '73 Z-28. A log truck pulled out in front of me, causing me to swerve and hit a tree. Truck driver was found at fault for my accident, even though he never contacted me. Their agent tried the same crap. OK, here's a cherry '73 Z-28, black with silver stripes, a highly polished 6-71 blower sticking through the hood, a wall of trophys from car shows, and he's wondering if the car is valued at $2800.(repair estimate) I think the moron just wanted a cool photo to hang on his wall.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most policies allow them to reimburse you for the lesser of, costs of repair or decrease in the car's value. The fight centers around the value of the car and reasonable repair costs. Are you sure that the accident did not cause you some back and neck problems? I knew a person that was hit from behind. When the insurance adjuster gave him problems, he said that the ongoing grief was aggravating the whip lash he sustained in the accident. If the repairs problems were not resolved immediately he would need to see his doctor about the injuries. The agent became very reasonable. Get some comp. values for car and a couple repair estimates from good shops. As a last resort see your doctor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts