Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having wheel cylinders blow out a lot lately (replaced them all already once about 2 months ago bc they all started leaking one right after another, now the rear right has blown again. Had a problem where I couldnt get any fluid out of the front right line when trying to bleed the system and now when I took the line off for the rear to replace that no fluid came out. I was considering just replacing the master with a dual reservoir but I'm switching to discs in Feb so I dont want to have to buy two masters if I dont have to. So what are some signs of a master going bad?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Since you have a single master cylinder, you would loose brakes probably all together if it was bad. A bad master cylinder basically stops building enough pressure for the brakes. I think you have a kink or a blockage in the lines. When i had drums i seriously replaced the wheel cylinders 2 months ago and this month i got a Baer disc swap and when i took apart the old brakes i found that my new wheel cylinders were already leaking. If you don't drive it much i would wait till Feb and do what i did. Get a new MC, new front disc brakes, and new brake lines. Start fresh with almost everything. Clean out the rear wheel cylinders and i think you should be good to go.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My guess is that you have trash/rust in the lines. It may be time to invest in some new brake lines. Also if you don't already have one, get a good one hand bleeder tool. They are a time saver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts