Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 GTA "S" code project convertible. The car has in dash tach, disk brakes, original fog light switch, flip open GT gas cap, and tilt steering . However, the PO told me that the GTA badges were present but someone stole them. The fog lights are not present either. I have been questioned about the authenticity of the GT part of the car. Is there a sure fire way of determining if the car is legit or not?

Food for thought: Just think, If your weren't where you are you would be somewhere else.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm wondering this myself and would like to add to the question. Did 67 GTs have 140mph speedos?

-Aaron

Houston, TX 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear. Other than the engine I don't know what is original!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

·
4,129 Posts
I'm thinking that the 8K tach came with the 289 K engine. It also came on all GT350s and GT500s. Otherwise the 6K tach was the standard. Not sure about the 140 speedo, that is if it was available as an option. It did come in all GT350s and GT500s.

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
4,129 Posts
Just wondering if the fog lites are missing is the wiring harness there? That is the plugs for the fog lites. What is on the fenders now? Any GT stripes? Any holes where the GTA badge would have been? The thing is that it is so easy to add the cosmetic items to make it a GT. The GT had a stiffer suspension also and 15/16 inch front sway bar.

1967 GT coupe been in my garage since 1974
1993 Ranger ExtCab 4.0L daily driver
1996 Aerostar wifes ride
Those that know it all are willing to learn something new, those that think that they know it all don't know anything.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hello fellow Arkansan. I noticed you had this pony up for sale. The best way to tell is to order a VIN Report from Marti Auto Works. The report will tell you what the car came from the factory with. Check out Kevin's site at: http://www.martiauto.com.

The 67 GT equipment group was available on any V8 car. Automatics were GTAs, 4-spds were GTs. The GT group included:

4" driving lamps at each end of a horizontal grille bar with a "fog" switch mounted under the ignition switch

Power front disc barkes

Dual exhaust with chrome quad tips (4v cars)

GT stripes along the rocker panel, broken on the fender with either the GTA or GT emblem

F70x14 Wid-Oval tires

Standard gas cap with the GT emblem (pop-open if it had the exterior decor group)

Special handling package

Rich
1966 GT Convertible

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The tach/trip odometer was optional for 67, which was a 6K, unless it was equipped with the 289 Hipo, then it got the 8K tach. The standard speedo was 120 MPH. For the 67 Shelby, the 8K tach & 140 MPH speedo are standard.

Rich
1966 GT Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 67 S code GTA. Has 120mph speedo, no tach(you find them more often on standard trannies.

hrdtail

Santa Fe, TX

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can also get a vehicle history report from Ford. Call (800) 392-3673 and ask for the report. I think they call it the '999 history report'. My report took about 2 weeks to arrive and they are free.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I do have a '67 GT 390 4spd conv w/build sheet. It has GT amber fog lamps, tripometer, 6k tach, 15/16 sway bar, and the quick ratio GT steering box #SMB-F (short shaft). The vin should have a "S" in it. Also If car has a "buck" or body tag attached to the fender apron it should have on it "PIO" which stood for "Performance image option" known as a GT.
As others have mention also Kevin Marti.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts