Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the progress of rebuilding the brakes on my 65 fastback. Can I replace the regular brake fluid with silicone brake fluid or would I have to replace the master cylinder and wheel cylinders since they have been using regular brake fluid for years? I plan to blow the lines out the best I can but am not sure if I have to start with fresh parts before I convert to silicone fluid. I use my car mostly for shows and average about 500 miles per year and have heard that silicone fluid is best for these conditions since the car sits alot.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the car sits indoors (garage), I wouldn't mess with the conversion...

I covered this subject recently.......

You can get others opinions there as well...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
529 Posts
Larry, I wouldn't mess with it either. To do it right, you'd have to get rid of all traces of the old fluid which means taking things apart, flushing, etc. Lot of work really. Since you keep the car garaged, I wouldn't mess with it. Rather, bleed the system once a year to replace the existing fluid and any moisture.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Use the original Ford spec type or DOT. Seals in hydraulic systems are designed for a certain type of fluid. Using a different type can result in the seals breaking down. Since you have no way of knowing the exact type of material used in every seal in the system, it's best to use the spec type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts