Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will admit that I am an idiot.... but what color exactly is the engine bay of a '69 coupe supposed to be... forums search and google were less than helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
They should be a low gloss black. Many people say that dp90 primer is an excellent match, but if you ask 10 people on what paint to use , you will likely get 7 or 8 answers.

Joe

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
aresol zero rust I bought off of e-bay is not too bad looking----maybe a little bit flatter ----I used on a 65

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
i have heard:

1) krylon semi-flat black
2) PPG DDL 9423
3) dp90
4) eastwood chassis black
etc...

and i am sure i missed a couple

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
DP90LF is great in color, but it will fade with minimal UV light. It turns a bit "greyish" over time.

If you use DP90LF top coating is advised to prevent the slight fade.

Krylon #1613 is fairly close although a little too flat.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Like stated above, many different opinions...

DP90 and the Krylon/Rustoleum Semi gloss are more grey than black. Compare a sample side by side and you'll see what I mean.

The Krylon/Rustoleum rattle can method is great if you are doing a weekend detail job, or will be completely redoing the engine bay at a later date, but want it to look nice now.

DP90 is a primer. Topcoat it with paint.

For a low cost professional job, you can use any brand of automotive Gloss Black enamel, just mix in a flattening agent, available from your auto paint store. I have used NAPA Martin Senour enamel with falttening agent and hardener, mixed to the "eggshell" recipe on the flattener label.

http://pages.cthome.net/hemikiller/engine810.jpg

That being said, next engine compartment I do will be with a single stage urethane paint. Enamel is a bit delicate. The Ss urethane cures rock hard and will withstand much more abuse. Cost is about twice that of enamel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts