Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking out the various parts in my dash to fix some water leaks.

I need to remove the heater assembly. Do I really have to drain the coolant system. Or can I undo the two heater hoses without dumping the coolant. Will coolant leak all over the engine. Or are those hoses empty when the car is off?

Another question, can I then remove the heater and still drive the car. I guess I would need to plug or do something with those heater hoses.

Anyone have any ideas, I would like to gain access under the dash and have several days to play with what I will find there. I NEED TO DRIVE THE CAR THOUGH!

Thanks, any help will be met with gratitude.

Jimbo65

Atlanta, GA
65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
487 Posts
The hoses will have some water/antifreeze in them. No reason you can't remove the hoses and complete heater assembly though. Just take your time and try not to slop.

Driving? Sure, but no heat of course!

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, but what to do with those heater hoses after I remove the assembly.

I guess I could take one of the hoses and loop back to the return in the front?

Yes???

I don't care about not having heat. Spring is here.

Thanks

Jimbo65

Atlanta, GA

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not simply disconnect the hoses and drive the vehicle. I would re-route the hoses so the cooling circuit is complete, leaving out the heater core. You can do this with one of the little adaptors in a cooling system cleanout kit that has a hose filler cap on it. Just insert the "T" and clamp the two hoses together. The problem is that the heater hoses clamp to the heater core inside the firewall, so it is best to either drain the system into a bucket first or cut the hoses on the outside, close to the firewall (most hoses are either too long or could use replacement, anyway), and splice them together there (very quickly, if you are not going to drain - which I suggest).

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589115&a=12097562&p=43884454.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, you could just "loop" one of the hoses for the time being. No problem at all.

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What ya need to do is run a short lenght between the ports on the engine. If it's like an 8, you'll never get
the hoses back on the heater with it installed in the car. When you're ready to but back in, put the hoses
on the heater and slide hoses thru the firewall as you install the heater.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My heater hoses are pretty new.

I can disconnect them at the front and push them into the car some to disconnect them on the other side? I will have to carefully get the heater out without dripping too much coolant.

If I drain the system, do that at the radiator?
Then fill with new coolant and water?

Sorry, I'm probably making this harder than it is.

Jimbo65

Atlanta, GA

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Disconnect both hoses only at the engine (one on the water pump, one on the intake manifold). Leave them attached to the heater core as you pull the heater core. Most of the water will stay in the heater core and you'll just remove the heater core with long ol' hoses atached from the inside of the car.

Cut a chunk out of one of the heater hoses and connect it to the water pump and to the intake (where you took the other hoses off).

Don't worry about ruining the "fairly new" hoses ... replace them with brand new ones when you put it back together. For the low price of heater hose, it makes no sense to do this job without replacing the hoses (you'll need to re-attach them to the heater core and install the big ol' honkin' hoses from inside the car just like you removed them).

HTH.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That' exactly what I just did.

They came off at the front and pulled through.
I will get new hoses.
Your right, why not replace them now.

Jimbo65

Atlanta, GA

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Bring it out to Alpharetta, I'll break it for you.

770-442-9925.

J. Boggs

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574992&a=11972962&p=43108527.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts