Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb question, but maybe someone has a trick i don't know about...

This is not a really good picture, but when i chiseled out the bondo and tiger-hair the PO plugged up my vent with I bent a bunch of the vent "bridges". Anyone recommend a good tool, combo of tools, or swmbo's kitchen gadgets that might make childsplay of this?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/k/s/ksw139/mustang/june/P10100382.JPG

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
#1 I HOPE YOU DID NOT USE THAT BRICK HAMMER ON THE CAR.
#2 IF YOU TRYING TO STRIP THE COWL VENT DUMP SOME SAND DOWN IN THE COWL COVER THE WHOLE BOTTOM GET SOME AIRCRAFT STRIPPER IT WILL EAT THE PAINT AND BONDO SIMPLE WIRE BRUSH THE. THEN LET THE STRIPPER DRY IN THE SAND THEN BLOW IT OUT
CHRIS

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you are looking to remove the remaining bondo, use a wire wheel on a drill.

If you are looking to fix the bridges, you have your work cut out for you. The best idea I have is to cut pieces of wood to fit the full width of a slot. with these to support the good slots, you can work with the bad ones.

James

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Once the tines are bent, its almost impossible to straighten them so they aren't squiggly. I see you've cut away the cowl vent areas too...bad idea. Best to drill out spot welds, lift the grille piece carefully to expose cowl vents. Best advice is to start looking for new cowl vent cover piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts