Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if this is an indication of a bad starter. When I turn the key, the starter spins but the engine is definitely not turning over. I just get a fast spinning sound from the starter. The car is used daily and was just started and running about 10 minutes earlier. Its a 67 with a 289, and I guess I can pull the starter and take it in to get tested, but I just want to make sure before I start scraping my knuckles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
sounds to me like either the bendix of the starter is not engaging or you have a bad spot on the ring gear.. first I would try it again,, if still the same,, I would try to turn the motor over either with a breaker bar on the crank pulley or if it is a manual transmission,, push it a little and pop the clutch,, thus turning the engine over a little,, then try to start again,, if still the same result,, then pull starter and check bendix/gear.. hope this helps...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Either the gear on the starter is not engaging the flywheel/flexplate or is stripped of the teeth on the gear. Worst case, your flywheel/flexplate has a spot where the teeth are gone. I would bet the starter gear is just not engaging. Take it off and have it tested at your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. If it ends up being stripped gears on the starter, do I just replace the starter with a rebuilt one? Or can just the stripped gear be replaced?

G

·
Take the starter out and have it checked. While its out take a close look at the teeth on the flexplate/ring gear. Look for worn or chipped teeth.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I end up having to replace the starter, should I hang on to the bad one in case it's the original starter? I have no idea if it is indeed the original. Any benefit to keeping it? If so, how can you tell if its original equipment?

G

·
You will most likely need to exchange your old starter or pay the core charge. Unless you are building a concours car I wouldnt worry about keeping the starter. Most likely it has been changed out anyways. HTH

·
Registered
337 Posts
Recently on a different vehicle, I had the wining and no engaging of the starter. The bullnose had cracked on the front of the starter. Look for cracks also.
Kerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts